Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

codylex
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
1 of 8

I received a message from a client.

According to the client, he wants me to write books for him, and he will pay me according to the book sales.

He said he will be giving me 10% of each sales of the book. So he started the project on Upwork with a milestone of $1. After writing the book, he will be paying me 10% from each sales, but I haven't started yet.

Should I accept this contract or not?

I am a bit afraid, I don't know if I should accept it or reject and refund him.

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
2 of 8

Unless the author is Stephen King or George RR Martin, there is no way I'd work under those conditions.

That's just me though.  

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 8

@Emmanuel S wrote:

I received a message from a client.

According to the client, he wants me to write books for him, and he will pay me according to the book sales.

He said he will be giving me 10% of each sales of the book. So he started the project on Upwork with a milestone of $1. After writing the book, he will be paying me 10% from each sales, but I haven't started yet.

Should I accept this contract or not?

I am a bit afraid, I don't know if I should accept it or reject and refund him.

lol no. He's never making a dime from these books. Besides, how are you going to keep track of his sales? You can't.

Just tell him no and drop your price on him. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 8

Emmanuel:

This client is offering you promises.

If you go to the local market near your home, and talk to the woman who sells bread there, and offer her 5% of future book sales in exchange for a loaf of bread, do you think she will accept your offer? Probably not.

This "client" is wasting your time and offering you nothing of value. If you write a book for him, it is the same as working for free.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 8

You should refund the $1 and cancel the contract. You should also report the client to customer services as he is violating Upwork's Terms of Service

Even If this job were off site - you wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole. If  the books didn't sell you would get 10% of nothing - run from this job.  

loredana-b
Community Leader
Loredana B Member Since: Feb 26, 2016
6 of 8

Reject and refund.

And never ever ever consider a "deal" like this.

Not only that there's no way for you to monitor the sales on the book(s), but regardless of the sells, you still invest work in these books and deserve to be paid for it.

If you want to have an income that depends on how well a book sells, then write it and publish it yourself, this way you make 100% profit, not 10%.

When someone offers you a share of their "future fortune", it's more than clear that they don't believe that there's even a slight chance for their business idea to actually be successful.

codylex
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
7 of 8
Thanks all, I appreciate your advice, and I will be refunding the client immediately, after that I will report him to customer support.
stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
8 of 8

It's like meeting some guy in a bar and he asks you to give him $10 to buy some lottery tickets, and he'll give you 10% of the money he wins. 

A) You might never see him again

B) 10% seeing that you've made an investment of $10 and he's made an investment of nothing? Doesn't seem that fair.

C) Even if you were confident that 10% of the profits would be worth your while... why not buy the lottery tickets yourself and get ten times more winnings? You'd also eliminate the micro-management... "Ok, now I know I said I wanted all odd numbers, but now I look at the ticket... the numbers just don't 'pop' for me. Go and buy a bunch of new tickets and we can take it from there."

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS