Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

codylex
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
1 of 23
I am working on a contract with a client, and we agreed that what he will be paying is $13 for articles that are 20 words to 2000 words count.

I accepted the contract because most of the work was 20 to 250 words articles for the same $13. There was nothing like 500 words or more. Then, things changed when he told me that his VA will be taking over the job.

The next day... It was the VA. As expected, she gave me a job that was to write 250 words (it was done on WordPress). She funded the milestone, and it was $13. This time it was quite different from what it used to be, because she told me to upload photos. Then when I finished the job, she released the milestone.

***Upwork doesn't show us the amount released when milestone is approved***they only say "milestone for contract ABC approved by client"***

Later, within 3 days, I decided to check my Report page, when I was checking the Report page, I came across the client's contract and it happened that his VA released $3 for the 250 words. I immediately told her that she released $3 instead of $13. And all she said was "Yes, that was because of the word count"

I just kept quiet and said nothing, I wanted to ask question firt and know what to do.
Thanks.
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 23

Taking a look at the client's feedback I would say you may have misunderstood the pay scale.  The client hasn't gotten any feedback that the payscale was wrong, his freelancers seem happy. 

This is entirely up to you.  You of course don't have to continue working with them. You can write them a professional message that the terms was misunderstood.  OR You can stay.  If this was a scope creep scenario I would say definitely leave, but I think you may just have misunderstood the terms. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
codylex
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
3 of 23
Yes, he hasn't gotten any bad feedback. But when I was working with him, it was $13 for any word count, until the VA took over. Well, I still think you are right.
brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
4 of 23

It doesn't matter if the VA took over. They still have to honor the contract.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
5 of 23

I'm just deducing: $13 is on the low end of the scale and this has farmer written all over it and cheaper clients won't pay the same price for 250 that they do for 2000.  So what you have gotten is probably a prorated amount. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
6 of 23

Based on the job description,  I'd say that's exactly what she's done.  She says "The Budget I have set is for 2 articles at around 1,000 words. If you write more or less, we will adjust the milestone, so don't worry."

I'd check the particulars in your correspondence with the client, to support the rate you had expected.  All that aside though, she made no mention of uploading images and that is scope creep that needs to be paid for.  Maybe communicate with the client, in a very professional manner, to iron out the issue and get the additional pay for the pictures.

@Katrina B wrote:

I'm just deducing: $13 is on the low end of the scale and this has farmer written all over it and cheaper clients won't pay the same price for 250 that they do for 2000.  So what you have gotten is probably a prorated amount. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 23

@Katrina B wrote:

Yeah, it's a farmer. I understand the job description to mean 2 articles for $13 but he basically says "I will send you anything and you write it."

brianajross
Community Leader
Briana R Member Since: Jul 8, 2015
8 of 23

Without seeing the original job description, it's hard to say what happened. Was $13 a flat rate for any article regardless of word count? If the client didn't say anything about a sliding scale based on word count, then they may have taken advantage of you. I'm also concerned that they asked you for photos if they weren't mentioned in the original job description, that's a huge change from the agreed contract, next time don't provide them without changing the terms of the contract. That's really bad for a client to do and they souldn't be allowed to get away with it. Take another look at your contract with the client, and if you think you should have been paid more you should notify UpWork because a client needs to pay what they've agreed to in the contract and they should not be asking for more things like photos without increasing the pay.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 23

This client is wasting your time. Accept her payment of $3 and then close the contract. Don't work for this person again.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 23

Hi Emmanuel,

I'm sorry you and the client had a misunderstanding. You should be able to check funded and released amounts on the contract page (My Jobs> Name of the contract). Also, successful freelancers often make sure all the terms, rate per word and deadlines are documented in the offer before they accept it. You may want to communicate with your client and clarify the rates you are paid per word count.

~ Valeria
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS