Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should I do?

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
11 of 23

Emmanuel, I can't stress how important it is to understand what Valeria said. Freelancers most definitely can - and should - see how much the milestone is funded. I check that before I start any work. Not checking if a milestone is funded for the agreed-upon amount in the offer before starting work is pure gambling. 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
12 of 23

@Melissa T wrote:

Emmanuel, I can't stress how important it is to understand what Valeria said. Freelancers most definitely can - and should - see how much the milestone is funded. I check that before I start any work. Not checking if a milestone is funded for the agreed-upon amount in the offer before starting work is pure gambling. 

The OP expressly states in his post that the milestone was funded ($13) and that the VA only released $3.

Also, since approx. $50 have been paid out on this contract, this isn't the first time he got paid.

He actually says that he was always paid $13 regardless the length of the text until the VA took over.

No offence meant, but it helps to read the OP's post before replying...

Yeah, it's still a farmer. 

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
13 of 23

Ela, I did read it. I may have misunderstood. I thought previous milestones were funded for $13, then the VA took over and the subsequent milestone was $3. 

ETA: I'm with Preston. This client set muddled terms, seemingly on purpose. I'd take the $3 and not do any additional work for this client. 

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
14 of 23

I was also going by the job listing.  If you were getting $13 no matter what the word count was, then yes this is out of the agreed terms and you should bring it up (professionally) to the client.  The photos were already out of the agreed terms. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 23

After reading this forum for so long, I really think freelancers especially writers have low T levels.

If you can't be a leader and assertive with some common sense, you gonna fail.

I'm also a pirate and a warrior, so I mean my T levels are pretty high. I just bring stilettos to the battle. I always spell stilletos wrong so I have no idea if that's right but I don't care.

codylex
Ace Contributor
Emmanuel S Member Since: Mar 17, 2016
16 of 23

@Melissa T wrote:

Yes Melissa, I check milestones before doing any work. This one I checked it and it was clearly $13.

But, did you forget that clients can change the milestone rate upon approval, same thing also applies to freelancers when they're requesting for the work approval.

To the Moderator- Yes, that's what I do. But, I think Upwork should make the system in a way that we know the rate funded and the rate approved.

To Katrina B- yes, I and the client didn't discuss about uploading photos. And the picture work took me a lot of time, because I had to download, upload, resize, rename, and change links on WordPress. I was surprised to see $3 for such hard work. 

To Preston- Thanks, I think that's what I'll do. But, let me first discuss it with them.

Thanks to all.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 23

Just tell the VA that you were getting $13 before and that was the deal. She's going to just ask the farmer anyway.

I bet I know what farmer this is too. lol

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
18 of 23

Yeah, Emmanuel, I misunderstood when I read your post originally. This client seems like a bad egg. 

mandylula
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
19 of 23

Hi Emmanuel. 

I had typed another reply, but by the time I got back, several had already replied.

If, as Ela K pointed out, you have been paid $13 per article irrespective of the number of words and this is how your communication with the client described it, then take it up with the client. 

Or, Farm the Farmer and get out now. Cat LOL

ravi_iitian
Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
20 of 23

Emmanuel,

I have located the job “Lots of individual articles needed.”

Lease Note: The Budget I have set is for 2 articles at around 1,000 words. If you write more or less, we will adjust the milestone, so don't worry. [emphasis added]”

Christy is right.

Adjustment works both ways. For 250 words, it comes to $3.25.

Scope creep is another matter altogether.

"Certa bonum certamen"
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS