cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
1 of 218

For the second time within a week or so, my profile was copied by another freelancer.  The first one I reported had the info removed within 24 hours.  I just reported this second one and I have every confidence that UW will take quick action.

What is not clear though is whether it will be just action.  Is simply making the person remove the copied text enough?  Should these people really be allowed to just continue on with nothing more?  I would think at the very least the account should be suspended for a month.  Repeat offenders should be kicked off the platform. 

Assuming UW acts quickly like the first time and i will say that I really appreciate them taking these complaints seriously.  However, are the current consequences enough?

This widget could not be displayed.
2 of 218
This widget could not be displayed.

@Scott B wrote:

For the second time within a week or so, my profile was copied by another freelancer.  The first one I reported had the info removed within 24 hours.  I just reported this second one and I have every confidence that UW will take quick action.

What is not clear though is whether it will be just action.  Is simply making the person remove the copied text enough?  Should these people really be allowed to just continue on with nothing more?  I would think at the very least the account should be suspended for a month.  Repeat offenders should be kicked off the platform. 

Assuming UW acts quickly like the first time and i will say that I really appreciate them taking these complaints seriously.  However, are the current consequences enough?

I think those profiles should be banned, because these freelancers are dishonest from the beginning and they cannot provide what they offer. Therefore they steal photos and portfolios of other people. Do they become honest and skillful, because their fraud has been detected? No. However, even if such profiles are banned, such "freelancers" will open a new account with another name and skill set the next day.  

vibhor_goyal
Ace Contributor
Vibhor G Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
3 of 218

Removing a profile from Upwork may not be an ideal solution as many more such profiles can be created. I believe all the earnings of the dishonest freelancer for their first job should be transferred to the other guy.

browersr
Community Guru
4 of 218

It has been several days with no reply from UW.  Typically I at least get action right away.  I guess they are waiting for the guy to get Top Rated.  This stuff is really cut and dry.  It doesn't take a forensic scientist to figure out if the DNA matches.  You've got the report.  You can see the profile. This has happened innumerable times in the past. Take care of it.  

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 218

I apologize for the delay, Scott. Let me follow up with the team about your ticket.

~ Valeria
Upwork
browersr
Community Guru
6 of 218

@Valeria K wrote:

I apologize for the delay, Scott. Let me follow up with the team about your ticket.

Thank you, Valeria.  I can see that the copied text is still there in this person's profile.  I was told by support that the person was asked to remove it.  I guess there just hasn't been a convenient time for this person to take such action.

Comments not directed to Valeria who is an awesome mod and not responsible for these policies:

1/ Why are we asking nicely for plagiarisers to remove stolen text at their convenience?

2/ Why do we allow plagiarisers to obtain "Top Rated" status?

3/ Why can't a UW support person remove copied text when it has been deemed to be copied?

4/ Why can't UW do a simple system scan when a profile is updated to look for identical text?  

5/ Why does UW not see this behavior as being bad long-term for the business (cash flow probably)?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 218

Hi Scott,

I'm sorry to hear part of your profile was copied by a another freelancer. I see our team restricted this user's profile and will take further steps in accordance with the guidelines they are using. We are reviewing the procedure used for these and other violations, but won't be addressing the content directly and making changes to users' profiles.

Untitled
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
8 of 218

It really is endemic this copying/stealing of profiles, either generic from the Internet or from other freelancers. I have just checked an overview on a new post and there is over half a Google page of freelancers on Upwork with an identical overview (the slightest difference being in the number of years experience the freelancer claims to have).

moti01
Community Leader
Abdulmoti S Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
9 of 218

@Vibhor G wrote:

Removing a profile from Upwork may not be an ideal solution as many more such profiles can be created. I believe all the earnings of the dishonest freelancer for their first job should be transferred to the other guy.

And how is that better solution,? that would be considered stealing and as bad as the one who copies the profile of others if not worse. I totally understanding it is highly unethical to copy the work of others, perhaps these people misunderstood, look at the profiles of people who offer similar services and learn what they are doing well and then write your own, maybe they understand just copy and paste, that is very unethical. I would say, first warning then final warning then ban. 

sk-andaleeb
Community Guru
Tanzeel Z Member Since: May 26, 2015
10 of 218

The freelancer must be very impressed with your profile. Man Happy 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS