cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
91 of 218

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:
Valeria, I really do appreciate your assistance, but I cannot rely on Upwork's assurances that they can't use the site anymore, since there's no proof and their profiles are still there.

At this stage, though, all I want is for the plagiarized content to be removed from their profiles (my employment history on the woman's profile and my overview excerpt on the man's profile).

Isabelle said exactly what is bothering me. I have reported three freelancers who copied my overview. One of which took Upwork one year to remove one of them (they gave him a year to fix his overview). Another freelancer I reported they removed promptly. The 3rd one is still popping up on Google search. Which Valeria I know you said has been dealt with but I have my doubts.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
92 of 218

@Amy T wrote:

Isabelle said exactly what is bothering me. I have reported three freelancers who copied my overview. One of which took Upwork one year to remove one of them (they gave him a year to fix his overview). Another freelancer I reported they removed promotely. The 3rd one is still popping up on Google search. Which Valeria I know you said has been dealt with but I have my doubts.

Just a few days of seeing my stuff on their profiles is driving me crazy, but a year!!! Smiley Frustrated I just can't understand this system.

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
93 of 218

I can't really see what can be done. Given that in the countries most plagiarists hail from, even big laws are barely enforced, what possible regulation can be placed on their online activity? It's not like they get much work anyway, although every so often some client complians on here about how some teenager with poor English can't (GASP!) really create them a fully working website that will put them at the top of Google's rankings for $7 an hour.

On the other hand, plenty of clients have complained about getting dozens of spam applications, and clearly they find it offputting - and we've all had to suffer the unfair Connects system as a result. 

However, nothing can be done about it really - the poorer half of the world are, thanks to the Internet, aware of how we live (Or, at least, how they think we live), and nothing's going to stop them trying to get a piece of the pie. There is no real solution.

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
94 of 218

I yet again have to put in a ticket about a "freelancer" who copied my overview word for word. On top of that, his portfolio is bogus.

This is the second time I have addressed this about this particular freelancer. It is getting tiresome.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
95 of 218

Amy,

Actions have already been taken on the profile you've reported.

~ Valeria
Upwork
battershall-ramo
Community Guru
96 of 218

There's about a billion or so people who are A) Very poor, B) Can speak (or at least read) a little English, C) Have access to an Internet cafe, and D) live in countries where corruption and dishonesty are rife. I really think this problem is beyond Upwork's remit. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
97 of 218

Whatever the sociological issues, there is no reason for Upwork to condone this sort of dishonesty on its site.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
98 of 218

@Ramon B wrote:

I really think this problem is beyond Upwork's remit. 

I agree that Upwork can't easily stop people from plagiarizing in the first place, but once we go through the trouble of reporting them, action should be taken. There is no rational reason on earth why plagiarized content should stay up. It's also in Upwork's best interests to ban the fraudster, because if they can misrepresent themselves like that then they'll have no problem with scamming clients.

battershall-ramo
Community Guru
99 of 218

But how? In countries with high unemployment and no welfare state, there's millions of people who literally do nothing else but spend all day at Internet cafes trying to work out how to get some cash online. Upwork could employ thousands of checkers, but it would still not stop them from doing it - it only takes a minute or so to create a new profile after all, and forged documents can be purchased cheaply if they need 'proof' to reappear. 

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
100 of 218

sigh.  my profile has never been stolen or copied.  my picture has never been stolen or copied.  still banned from the cool kids table.  sigh.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS