cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
11 of 218

There's no excuse for this. Ban them permanently.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
12 of 218

What is not clear though is whether it will be just action.  Is simply making the person remove the copied text enough?  Should these people really be allowed to just continue on with nothing more?  I would think at the very least the account should be suspended for a month.  Repeat offenders should be kicked off the platform.

I completely agree. People who start out dishonestly will likely continue dishonestly.

There are more than enough honest freelancers on the platform, so personally I think losing the dishonest ones swiftly and decisively can not do any harm, and may dissuade others.

jennifer_wolfe
Jennifer P W Member Since: Sep 7, 2016
13 of 218

It had never occurred to me that someone would even do that (not in my line of work, anyhow). How did you figure it out, if I may ask?

nemes
Community Guru
Zoltán N Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
14 of 218

You can search for exact sentences on Google with using quotations. For example, if you search for the first line of my profile, you will find me, and that guy from Bangladesh on the other platform who stole it. Smiley Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 218

@Zoltán N wrote:

You can search for exact sentences on Google with using quotations. For example, if you search for the first line of my profile, you will find me, and that guy from Bangladesh on the other platform who stole it. Smiley Happy

just as a suggestion, I would do the search without quotes. Because sometimes they will change a few words to "pass copyscape." You know cuz if it passes copyscape it's original! LOL Idiots. If you search without quotes then you'll find those losers too.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
16 of 218

I have to take back what I said about UW.  They did respond which is good but they don't appear to have done anything about it.  They won't tell me what action was taken (despite the fact that I am the aggrieved party).  The profile remains 100% intact and 100% a copy of mine.  If I login as a client I am able to invite this person to apply for a job.  No matter what they profile HAS to be removed.  This cannot stand UW.

nemes
Community Guru
Zoltán N Member Since: Jul 23, 2015
17 of 218

"If I login as a client I am able to invite this person to apply for a job."

In this case you should invite him for a creative writing project for his own profile. Once I did this with a Romanian guy who stole my profile, word to word.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
18 of 218

@Scott B wrote:

I have to take back what I said about UW.  They did respond which is good but they don't appear to have done anything about it.  They won't tell me what action was taken (despite the fact that I am the aggrieved party).  The profile remains 100% intact and 100% a copy of mine.  If I login as a client I am able to invite this person to apply for a job.  No matter what they profile HAS to be removed.  This cannot stand UW.

I'm telling you guys...DMCA takedown requests, every time. 

This widget could not be displayed.
19 of 218
This widget could not be displayed.

Upwork will lose most of the clients who have fallen for such fake profiles. Seeing so many fake profiles in the community and in the freelancer search I guess that 50% of the profiles are fake or at least show false qualifications and portfolios.

moti01
Community Leader
Abdulmoti S Member Since: Jan 12, 2017
20 of 218

Don't you think 50% is a bit exaggeration, though I agree these guys are around and have no shame and not only harming upwork but also harming the hardworking honest other freelancers. I blame their survival in here on clients who search for very cheap services, and ashamed to complain or rate as such or not rate at all because they know for a fact "you get what you paid for", I don't get it most clients know the proper price for the service they seek and yet they jump on extremely low prices and somehow hope for quality which could happen 1 in a thousand.. They are playing Russian roulette with their work.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS