cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

kfarnell
Community Guru
Kim F Member Since: Aug 26, 2015
191 of 218

I see my post has been deleted because I described how to send a DMCA notice.  It would have been nice to have been notified about this. 

I can be contacted by PM if anyone wants a copy of the template.

mtngigi
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
192 of 218

@Kim F wrote:

I see my post has been deleted because I described how to send a DMCA notice.  It would have been nice to have been notified about this. 

I can be contacted by PM if anyone wants a copy of the template.

Let 'em take it down ... it's in the email notification I received. Smiley LOL

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
193 of 218

A moderator's decision to delete Kim's post baffles me.  I would think that Upwork would be grateful for any steps taken to ensure the integrity of the plarform.

I have a copy of Kim's letter as well; happy to share if needed.  Thank you, Kim!

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
194 of 218

I am sorry, I usually agree with Upwork, but if someone copies even 10% of my profile and the client researches that, they are not going to take the time to see whose profile is older. They are just going to move on. That is loss of business for me and/or other freelancers WHO FOLLOW THE RULES. People who plagerize their profile, skills, cheat on tests, copy portfolios, lie about their location, etc. should be banned. They have nothing to offer this platform.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
igormikhaylov
Ace Contributor
Igor M Member Since: Mar 20, 2007
195 of 218

Technically, it is very simple to avoid such a problems. If Upwork can't solve this, this is just because of laziness. Smiley Happy
When Overview is submitted by a user. Upwork should check that texts in Overview doesn't match the texts of other users/freelancers. Thats is technically easy task!
When a users submit or change a profile they should see a notification if texts in their Overview has been recognised as similar to other Overview texts. If they copy/paste a whole sentences, they should be banned immediately. Smiley Happy

igormikhaylov
Ace Contributor
196 of 218

Another point to discussion is: why clients rely on profile Overviews and don't rely on feedbacks from past clients? If you have a great feedbacks from clients and your skills match with clients requirements you should be automatically selected by a client. But this is not works in Upwork. I don't know why, but clients select freelancers by unreasonable ways. Perhaps, they select the first who answered to job post. And here is a lot of work for Upwork to explain to clients why this decision can be very very big mistake!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
197 of 218

@Igor M wrote:

(...) why clients rely on profile Overviews and don't rely on feedbacks from past clients? (...) I don't know why, but clients select freelancers by unreasonable ways. (...)

How the frak do you know how clients select freelancers and why do you think they all follow the exact same logic? Did Upwork gave you some internal data that allows you to make such bold statements?  

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
igormikhaylov
Ace Contributor
198 of 218

Rene,

First, my messages is my private opinion. Nothing more.

Second, I make this conclusion based on my 2 months experience on trying to find a new project here and contacting with a few clients.

By the way, I have a 10 years experience in freelancing. In oDesk, furthermore in Upwork.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
199 of 218

@Igor M wrote:

Rene,

First, my messages is my private opinion. Nothing more.

Actually, "Clients do X" is not an opinion. It's an assertion of fact that is true, false, or true for some clients and not others. The latter is the most likely, but you don't know for sure with current information.

Opinions are things like "Chocolate tastes better than vanilla" or "It's easier to work on a fixed-price basis than an hourly contract."

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
200 of 218

re: "I see my post has been deleted because I described how to send a DMCA notice."

Maybe they thought your post was plagiarized.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS