cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
201 of 218

The three people who have stolen either part or all my profile are still up and are still to be seen on Google.

Boy does Upwork have double standards - praising Google's attempt to zap false news,  but does absolutely zilch about copyright abuse.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
202 of 218

Nichola,

Google search often updates with a delay that Upwork has no control over. I checked and all three profiles you reported in the ticket are suspended and can't be found in freelancer search.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
203 of 218

Thanks Valeria,

When Google finally gets round to closing on these freelancers, then I will change my own overview, but until then, I am damned if I will allow these people to get away with their theft and their complete lack of integrity. So it looks as if I am going to have to go the DMCA route after all. Time-consuming and extremely irritating.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
204 of 218

@Nichola L wrote:

Thanks Valeria,

When Google finally gets round to closing on these freelancers, then I will change my own overview, but until then, I am damned if I will allow these people to get away with their theft and their complete lack of integrity. So it looks as if I am going to have to go the DMCA route after all. Time-consuming and extremely irritating.

You don't need to go the DMCA route, just let Google refresh its database. They are maybe not indexing Upwork every day.

I had some pages removed from the web and it took few day to Google to forgot them.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
205 of 218

For the record, my support ticket asking for help with 3 freelancers who copied my profile, has remained open and untouched now for 12 days. I know a moderator earlier said it was taken care of, but this is not reflected in the ticket and of course the profiles remain a copy of mine. 

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
206 of 218

Hi Scott, 

I'm sorry if the team hasn't updated your ticket yet. I've followed it up with them and someone should get back to you the soonest via the same ticket. I've also checked again and can see that all profiles have been actioned on based on our ToS guidelines, and set to private. 

We apologise if this does not reflect on the professional service you have come to rely on. I'll share this with the rest of the team so that we can learn from it, and improve on our services. 

~ Avery
Upwork
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
207 of 218

Thanks, Avery. They did come back to me this evening to close the ticket. I appreciate your confirmation on their profile. It would be disappointing though if the freelancer currently working a job were allowed to continue. Ostensibly he got that job off of a fake profile and should not be allowed to keep it. I know you cannot speak to this so this is more rhetorical. Overall I will continue to say that UW needs a more transparent view into what happens to people when they steal another's profile. And for the love of god, the copied profile text should not be allowed to remain even if the profile is turned to private. It's just galling and mistakes could happen to make it public again with the copied content. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
208 of 218

make sure you watch the profile, because they let them back on the platform and they just put it back to what it was before

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
209 of 218

@Scott B wrote:

And for the love of god, the copied profile text should not be allowed to remain even if the profile is turned to private. It's just galling and mistakes could happen to make it public again with the copied content. 

It's worth noting that the DMCA refers to "takedown" or "removal" of content--there is no indication in the language of the law suggesting that retaining content but making it inaccessible to the public suffices to fulfill a takedown request. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
210 of 218

interesting to note, though, that if you dmca it out of search, the page is removed for good and it's hard to get it back. You essentially have their profile removed from search.

It's a shame that upwork isn't taking this stuff as seriously as it should. It's a catch22. They will start to take notice if they get a boatload of DMCAs filed on the site and Google starts curb stomping their rank. Google does take DMCA notices into consideration with their ranking algorithms. Too many and it starts to work against you. It's a shame though that we have to hurt our own workplace to get them to do something.

But, the flipside is you file a DMCA and have the URL removed from search and the freelancer will no longer show up in google search. I've had people find me on my Upwork profile, so this is a bad thing for any serious freelancer (I guess these jokers aren't serious though)

Here's the official Google notice in case anyone thinks I'm poop talking: https://search.googleblog.com/2012/08/an-update-to-our-search-algorithms.html

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS