cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
21 of 218

@Abdulmoti S wrote:

Don't you think 50% is a bit exaggeration, though I agree these guys are around and have no shame and not only harming upwork but also harming the hardworking honest other freelancers. I blame their survival in here on clients who search for very cheap services, and ashamed to complain or rate as such or not rate at all because they know for a fact "you get what you paid for", I don't get it most clients know the proper price for the service they seek and yet they jump on extremely low prices and somehow hope for quality which could happen 1 in a thousand.. They are playing Russian roulette with their work.

The blame lies entirely with the thief and the site that allows identity theft to continue, particularly when the perpetrator has been identified. It has nothing to do with the client - however cheap the client is.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
22 of 218

I love upwork but this stuff pisses me off.

I'd really like to know how many freelancers that are caught with stolen profiles have issues with clients later on.

helenion_zyhdra
Noeme E Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
23 of 218

Yes, I would really like to know how to keep a tab on this just in case I am copied too. 

helenion_zyhdra
Noeme E Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
24 of 218

Yes. I would like to know also. 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
25 of 218

I say: Upwork will go public one of those days. Investors need a profit. To add value to their stock shares Upwork listings must be huge. So no kicking out precious profiles.

:-)

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
26 of 218

Shave their bellies with a rusty razor?

[ETA: Or, put 'em in the scuppers with a hosepipe on 'em?]

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
27 of 218

So UW is continuing with the ridiculous "it's private" line and won't tell me how this is resolved.  You would think I am asking for the person's medical records.  All I ask is that the 100% copied profile is REMOVED.  If you want to hide behind privacy and other such nonsense in terms of how you supposedly have taken care of this, then fine.  But you HAVE to remove the 100% copied text.  Additionally by the way I could still hire this guy. 

UW, you create problems for yourself with this hamfisted way of dealing with an obvious problem.  By not taking the obvious step of removing 100% copied text (to include my own product names) you engender 0% confidence in your "private handling" of these matters. How in world is this not common sense?  Appalling. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
28 of 218

Scott, I've been told before when I've reported obvious fakes that I can still see them and click the "hire" button because I have the direct link to their profile (e.g. from adding them to my "favorites"), but that they don't show up in search results etc. Not sure if that applies to your case, just throwing it out there as a possibility...

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
29 of 218

@Jennifer D wrote:

Scott, I've been told before when I've reported obvious fakes that I can still see them and click the "hire" button because I have the direct link to their profile (e.g. from adding them to my "favorites"), but that they don't show up in search results etc. Not sure if that applies to your case, just throwing it out there as a possibility...

That may be, but being hidden from search results is not an adequate response to having stolen someone's identity--it would not prevent the fake freelancer from continuing to bid on jobs using Scott's (or someone else's) information.

It's worth noting that in many states, this does fulfill the elements of identity theft. As such, if the fake freelancer is based in the U.S., criminal charges might be possible, and a criminal investigation would require Upwork to disclose the user's identity.

Perhaps if they are unwilling to adequately address users targeting other users for criminal activity, the matter needs to be escalated. 

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
30 of 218

Appreciate the responses.  This matter would be incredibly easy to resolve if UW simply removed the profile whether it is searchable or not.  If nothing else it's a bad optic and creates unnecessary mistrust.  I am not looking to put the guy in jail (he's half way around the world anyway) I just don't want to see my profile associated with his nor should I have to.  Such a simple and fair (not to mention obvious) action to take.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS