cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
41 of 218

Scott, just go ahead and issue a DMCA takedown notice!

The text is your property, it has to be removed from the other profile and the server by law upon your request. End of.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
42 of 218

@Petra R wrote:

The text is your property, it has to be removed from the other profile and the server by law upon your request. End of.

Does DMCA takedown apply if the person whose content is plagiarized is not a U.S. citizen? Also, it seems you have to pay quite a bit to issue a notice?? https://www.dmca.com/signup/default.aspx

If that's the case, I wouldn't pay for something that's supposed to be Upwork's responsibility to take down. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
43 of 218

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Does DMCA takedown apply if the person whose content is plagiarized is not a U.S. citizen? Also, it seems you have to pay quite a bit to issue a notice?? https://www.dmca.com/signup/default.aspx

It applies worldwide and the violation is in the US anyway as the stolen content is on a US owned (Upwork) server.

You do NOT have to pay ANYTHING to issue a DMCA takedown notice, that link is just a company that offers to do what you can do for free.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
44 of 218

I always cringe when I think about checking for my profile being copied.  It's been some months and I just thought to check again so I did and of course found my profile copied several times.  One a few words were changed but it's 98% mine.  The other looks to have changed but Google still brings it up so it must have been somewhat recent.  

Something else interesting.  The other person I reported is still allowed to be active on UW and has been allowed to get a "Top Rated" badge.  Yes the profile was changed but UW has still allowed this person to transact here and has rewarded him for doing so.  

Just thought folks should know.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
45 of 218

Name them, shame them, and public floggings!

Seriously, though, that is stealing!

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
46 of 218

When reported, Upwork sends a polite message to offenders asking them to change their overview.

This thread illustrates the result of Upwork's softness: Multiple "false" profiles, same frelancer?

But hey, 12M freelancers on the platform! Nothing beats the beauty of this figure. Not even client satisfaction.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
47 of 218

My profile hasn't been plagiarized; should I be pleased, or displeased that no one finds it worth plagiarizing? Cat Frustrated (Or maybe it's because my profile isn't public. Cat Very Happy)

Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
48 of 218

@John K wrote:

My profile hasn't been plagiarized; should I be pleased, or displeased that no one finds it worth plagiarizing? Cat Frustrated (Or maybe it's because my profile isn't public. Cat Very Happy)

I have no idea whether or not my profile has been plagiarized. I do think, though, that it should be a "one strike" offense. I'm all for giving people second chances when they start out in a rush and don't read the TOS and get into trouble or whatever, but no one accidentally falsifies his/her whole work history, let alone steals it wholesale from another person.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
49 of 218

It is beyond me how Upwork seeks to position itself as the premier marketplace for online work, and allows its inventory to include, if not be dominated by, cheap counterfeit goods.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
50 of 218

Hey guess what?  Yup, profile copied yet again.  I guess I am going to have to start doing weekly sweeps.  Already have my template for all the customer service requests.  This one has an enormously fake profile pic as well.  Good times.... 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS