cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
61 of 218

This is awesome news. 

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
62 of 218

@Katrina B wrote:

This is awesome news. 

Fully concur.  Thanks for letting us know, Valeria!  

It seems I could be a good test case to see if the new process actually works.  Anxiously awaiting word of the roll out.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
63 of 218
I like what that medium writer said about profiles. If your freelancer is too pretty it's prolly a fake profile.
rolandofgilead
Community Guru
Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
64 of 218

@Jennifer M wrote:
If your freelancer is too pretty it's prolly a fake profile.

That's why my profile picture is sooooo ugly. I'm actually prettier than that u.u

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
lysis10
Community Guru
65 of 218

@Mattia G wrote:

That's why my profile picture is sooooo ugly. I'm actually prettier than that u.u

You should see me in the morning. That's when I should take a photo of myself and use it in my profile cuz it's prolly more real.

wendy_writes
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
66 of 218

I'm with Michael on this - "It is beyond me how Upwork seeks to position itself as the premier marketplace for online work, and allows its inventory to include, if not be dominated by, cheap counterfeit goods."

Theft is theft. As such, it connotes:

1. the individual is too lazy to do his/her own work. 

2. the individual is too lazy (or stupid) to think for his/her self.

3. the individual has no sense of ethics - and def. no respect for others - first and foremost clients.

4. the individual has no desire to do a proper job ... let alone a good job.

Anyone care to add some more reasons?

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
67 of 218

@Wendy C wrote:

I'm with Michael on this - "It is beyond me how Upwork seeks to position itself as the premier marketplace for online work, and allows its inventory to include, if not be dominated by, cheap counterfeit goods."

Theft is theft. As such, it connotes:

1. the individual is too lazy to do his/her own work. 

2. the individual is too lazy (or stupid) to think for his/her self.

3. the individual has no sense of ethics - and def. no respect for others - first and foremost clients.

4. the individual has no desire to do a proper job ... let alone a good job.

Anyone care to add some more reasons?

5. the individual is a bad person

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
68 of 218

yes, when Upwork makes it impossible for freelancers to submit a ticket when they see a scam job. No link is provided. (I've stopped reporting jobs because of that)

lysis10
Community Guru
69 of 218

I'd really like them to DIAF, but that's probably not an option.

The reason they do it is because it's not like they lose their accounts. You just change the wording or remove the stolen content when you're flagged. Some of them just put it back after the flag is lifted. Lame.

helenion_zyhdra
Noeme E Member Since: Apr 26, 2017
70 of 218

Hi Scott, I am new to upwork and want to be prepared for this issue. I have only been on here 3 weeks and already I have met with 1 law student who is using Upwork to get pay actual lawyers to do his university work (which is dishonest and illegal at all law schools in my country - and by virtue of his behaviour he should not be admitted to the legal profession to bring us into further disrepute). Anyway... I am a bit paranoid that this behaviour is unfortunately common. I would like to know how you can keep a tab on false profiles in future? I am really saddened to read what you have been through. Cheers, Noeme. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS