cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
71 of 218

Well now that this thread's revived, I might as well reiterate: BAN THEM.

As I posted elsewhere, just look how absurd this freelancer is, who copied my entire overview and even my employment history: **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have opened a ticket for her, but not sure whether anything will be done. And it's extremely annoying that she has been hired!!

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
72 of 218

I completely agree.  No warnings, no second chances.  Bogus profile = banned forever.

I flagged the profile as well, before the link is removed.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
73 of 218

All,

Please see my most recent reply on this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Guru
74 of 218

Question for Upwork:

If the plagiarizing profile does not get removed / changed to remove the copied content, am I free to file a DMCA takedown notice like Petra suggested? Will this have any repercussions for my own profile? (Will Upwork take action against my account?)

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
75 of 218

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Question for Upwork:

If the plagiarizing profile does not get removed / changed to remove the copied content, am I free to file a DMCA takedown notice like Petra suggested? Will this have any repercussions for my own profile? (Will Upwork take action against my account?)

Isabelle, you are playing with fire! You just saw what happens when Upwork tries to get rid of plagiarized profiles!

DOOM.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
76 of 218

@Ela K wrote:

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

Question for Upwork:

Isabelle, you are playing with fire! You just saw what happens when Upwork tries to get rid of plagiarized profiles!

DOOM.

@ Earlier in this thread, Valeria wrote:

" In the upcoming weeks we are planning to change our internal processes so stricter actions will be taken against freelancers who copy their profiles from elsewhere. Additionally, we are working on automated system that would detect duplicate profiles and flag them."

This was two months ago - what has been done about it? 

When is Upwork going to take a serious stand against freelancers who steal and cheat. It is unacceptable. They should be publicly named, shamed and banned.

Also the freelancer has stolen a photograph of a respected scientist.

So much for the algorithm detecting fraud!

iaabraham
Community Guru
77 of 218
Nichola, see Garnor's response on this thread: https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Not-a-single-invite-since-migration/m-p/334962/highlight...

It looks like something is in the works but hiding profiles in search with a faulty system is not good enough. ACTION needs to be taken against the plagiarists!!
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
78 of 218

Agreed!!!! Site is already way overcrowded.  No chances, ban them!!

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
iaabraham
Community Guru
79 of 218

So, after flagging, submitting a ticket and sending numerous messages to CS regarding two freelancers that plagiarized my profile, this is what happened:

- One freelancer’s plagiarized Overview was deleted (I had to ask twice for this to happen). Her fake photo, which belongs to the dean of a U.S. university, is still up. She also still has my copied Employment History on her profile.

- The second freelancer still has a quarter of my copied Overview on his profile.

- Neither seems to be searchable on Upwork anymore, but both profiles can still be found on Google.

- CS has gone ahead and marked my ticket as solved, even though it’s clearly not.

Upwork doesn’t want to suspend or ban the freelancers – fine. This only harms the site’s reputation, and if they want to give frauds 100 chances, then there’s nothing I can do about that. Upwork doesn’t want to tell us what actions they take against plagiarists – fine; that’s their rules.

But, I believe Upwork does have the obligation to remove the plagiarized content from the fraudster’s profile. So can I go ahead and send a DMCA takedown notice like another freelancer has done? Can the Mods advise me if this will have repercussions for my profile (because I wouldn’t put that past Upwork)? And will issuing such a notice have any effect?

These questions genuinely concern me – it is an unnecessary hassle, but one thing I can’t bear is seeing my original content on another person’s profile. It is mind-boggling that Upwork thinks it’s acceptable to leave it up there. (And how difficult is it to simply delete the content??) Not sure what kind of planet this policy comes from.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
80 of 218

Hi Isabelle Anne,

I've checked and see our team took immediate action following the request you submitted. I do see one of the users copied one item from your Employment History and will ask our team to address that detail as well. Our team will follow up on the latest message you posted and share more details.

Unfortunately, it will take a few days to remove the reported profiles from search results on Google as they have already been sanctioned on Upwork.

As you already must be aware by now, tickets marked as solved are not closed and you can respond to them to continue the conversation. You don't need to take additional action since our team is already processing your reports and will update your ticket soon.

Thank you for reporting.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS