cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be done with Profile Plagiarists?

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
81 of 218

@Vladimir G wrote:

I've checked and see our team took immediate action following the request you submitted. I do see one of the users copied one item from your Employment History and will ask our team to address that detail as well. Our team will follow up on the latest message you posted and share more details.

Thank you for following up. Apart from my copied Employment history, that OTHER profile still has a quarter of my Overview copied. I need that removed too.

Unfortunately, it will take a few days to remove the reported profiles from search results on Google as they have already been sanctioned on Upwork.

I understand this. 

As you already must be aware by now, tickets marked as solved are not closed and you can respond to them to continue the conversation. You don't need to take additional action since our team is already processing your reports and will update your ticket soon.

No, this is exactly why I come to the forums, because I can't expect proper communication from CS (as it is I already have one "solved" ticket that hasn't been resolved for over a year, and another for 10 months). I keep getting the same response, and all I want is for the plagiarized content to be removed. 

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
82 of 218

Why is Upwork so dilatory about suspending these people who should not be freelancing in the first place and have absolutely no right to be on Upwork and certainly should not be seen on Google or any other search engines. They should be permanently banned. What hold do they have on Upwork that they should continue to use other people's profiles?

How is it that people are only given mild little smacks on the wrist when they lie about their location, steal photographs, and not just overviews, but work experience, portfolios and education. 

Isabelle you should certainly ask for a DMCA.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
83 of 218

Nichola,

Profiles that have copied content are suspended by Upwork team. They aren't searchable on Upwork and once Google search catches up, they are not searchable there either. Suspended freelancers also can't apply for jobs or accept invitations.

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Guru
84 of 218

Valeria, thanks I do know that eventually, something is done. But why does it take so long? It is extraordinarily stressful, particularly when the people who have stolen the profiles get jobs on strength of them.

And why are these people - they are not freelancers - suspended and not permanently banned?

If they are suspended, but not allowed to send proposals or accept jobs - that presupposes that they are allowed to become clients?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
85 of 218

Nichola, 

Permanent actions are taken on these accounts. In other words, they won't be able to use their accounts on Upwork anymore. I'm sorry that we can't share any further details about our internal processes, but please rest assured that this issue is taken much more seriously now.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Guru
86 of 218

@Nichola L wrote:

Why is Upwork so dilatory about suspending these people who should not be freelancing in the first place and have absolutely no right to be on Upwork and certainly should not be seen on Google or any other search engines. They should be permanently banned. What hold do they have on Upwork that they should continue to use other people's profiles?

How is it that people are only given mild little smacks on the wrist when they lie about their location, steal photographs, and not just overviews, but work experience, portfolios and education. 

Isabelle you should certainly ask for a DMCA.

Completely agree. I have several theories about why they don't want to ban these people, ranging from pure laziness to wanting to keep inflated freelancer numbers up.

But even though Upwork's response has been so poor thus far, I think the least we can expect is for the plagiarized content to be removed!!

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
87 of 218

Isabelle Anne,

I can confirm, that the users you are referring to have also been actioned. They won't be able to use Upwork any longer.

~ Valeria
Upwork
iaabraham
Community Guru
88 of 218
Valeria, I really do appreciate your assistance, but I cannot rely on Upwork's assurances that they can't use the site anymore, since there's no proof and their profiles are still there.

At this stage, though, all I want is for the plagiarized content to be removed from their profiles (my employment history on the woman's profile and my overview excerpt on the man's profile).
versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
89 of 218

If a profile is viewable to someone with a direct link, it doesn't mean that it is active and that it can send proposals or receive work. Valeria actually said this again.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
colettelewis
Community Guru
90 of 218

@Rene K wrote:

If a profile is viewable to someone with a direct link, it doesn't mean that it is active and that it can send proposals or receive work. Valeria actually said this again.

If a stolen profile is viewable on Google or any search engine, it may not be active but it is visible, and will detract from the person to whom it belongs. Of course, if Upwork does what it can (after months), and the person who stole the profile is suspended (not banned), but is still showing on public search sites, then clearly the abused freelancer will have to independently issue a take down.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS