Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should be my fair hourly rate?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
11 of 16

If you have a lot of people who want to hire you, and you don't have time to work for all of them, then your rate is too low.

View solution in original post

gmcotet
Gabriela C Member Since: Feb 1, 2016
12 of 16

I relocated to UK, I don't know the rates here. And I work with people in the US. So I am a bit confused.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
13 of 16

re: "I relocated to UK"

It doesn't matter where you live.

It doesn't matter where your clients live.

Marlon Brando was paid $19 million to play Jor-El in "Superman" (1975), a fairly small role for which he did twelve days of work and was not required to memorize any lines.

Do you think his rates were adjusted for either the country he was living in at the time, or for the country that the production studio was based in?

Until I earn $1,583,333 per day, I'm not going to worry if my rates are too high or are "unfair."

Every week clients offer to pay me my posted hourly rate to do work I know how to do and I'm comfortable doing. I turn most of them down because I'm too busy. So it's time for me to raise my hourly rate again.

lindseyhgregory
Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
14 of 16

I just raised my rates, too, Preston. I got a dozen or so RFPs last month. I figured a higher rate will filter out some of the uh ... flimsier "expert" social media requests.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
15 of 16

Ivan:

Let me be the first to admit that mentioning Marlon Brando and his role in "Superman" is kind of a ludicrous example.

But it's a fun factoid demonstrating one extreme end of pay scales.

I can tell you this, though... Brando may have been a much-in-demand actor. But he would have been a terrible Upwork contractor for the typical jobs that are posted here. The stunts he pulled on set to irritate directors and studios are famous (and funny). Any client hiring Brando to make a website, design a logo, or write an article would probably have been disappointed. Even if you hired him on Upwork to do an acting job, you would have to mark him down for his unprofessional behavior.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 16

@Preston H wrote:

Ivan:

Let me be the first to admit that mentioning Marlon Brando and his role in "Superman" is kind of a ludicrous example.

But it's a fun factoid demonstrating one extreme end of pay scales.

I do not think it is ludicrous at all.

It demonstrates beautifully that the right price for absolutely anything is the exact spot the buyer is willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept for any given commodity.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS