🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What software do I need to start with Upwork
Page options
af607f83
Community Member

What software do I need to start with Upwork

I'm sorry if this is a ridiculous qustions, I'm new.

I'm new to Upwork and have been searching on the 'Community' for what software I need to start freelancing?  I'm wanting to do writing/data entry/virtual assistant work.  I'm fine with purchasing software like Microsoft Office, but don't want to if I don't have to.  I just want to be sure I have everything I need before I send a proposal out for a job.  I would hate to not be totally prepared for the job I select.  Any tips on what software I may need would be great.  I've read some of these discussions and I'm kind of in 'information overload'.

Thank you all!

8 REPLIES 8
roberty1y
Community Member

You'll need to download Upwork's time tracker, otherwise there's no way of being paid for hourly jobs. After that, a lot depends on the type of work you're offered. Maybe get ready to buy Office, but don't do so until you actually get a job that requires it.

You're new here, so look out for scams. They target new members.

Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated. This has answered my question, I'm now ready to go! 

prestonhunter
Community Member

The only reason you would need Microsoft Office is if you are going to do work utilizing Microsoft Office.

I don't have Microsoft Office. I don't need it for my work.

elisa_b
Community Member

I am not sure I understand - but if you are offering those services on Upwork, this implies you are experienced in those fields, therefore you should already know which tools you need - and possibly own them, too.

Of course, there may be clients with special requests (e.g. they use specific software), but for instance, if you want to be a writer, you will need at least software like Open Office. However, in your profile, you wrote "I am proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel" and if you say this, the client would expect that you own an Office package. 

af607f83
Community Member

Thank you, that's what I was asking. I have a full time job and I have a laptop through work, that has any and every program I would need. I can't obviously use that for another job. I don't have it on any of my personal laptops because I didn't need it. I will get the programs downloaded and get started here. This is more of a side gig for me, fun money if I succeed. Again thank you for your input.

luqman_mak
Community Member

Welcome to the community,
Most of the jobs you have listed down can be done with free software. Microsoft office for example, has an online version that is limited in function but usable it gives you access to Word, Excel and other things. You can find it by searching for "Microsoft 360 Online" but there are other alternatives too, "Apache OpenOffice", "Google Docs" and such.
For virtual assistant tasks, most people use "Zoom meetings" (also free) but there are so many others available, some which might even come with your operating system.

Feel free to ask for more info, you can even DM me, i dont mind

Hello I would like you to help meor be my mentor im also new on upwork

Thanks 

Its easier to answer specific questions
as for the mentorship, there are cohorts arranged every now and then - they are posted on the 'new to upwork' page. There are also members who offer 'profile feedback' in the community and those threads are better suited for beginners.

As you are new, here is my #1 recommended post written by a community member on how to spot common scams here:
https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths