🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What time periods for the Client's requiremen...
Page options
cropster_photo
Community Member

What time periods for the Client's requirements for the return of payment to freelancer

What is the time limit after which the client cannot, through the Upwork system, demand a refund of the amounts paid to the freelancer for the work.

1 period = 14 days (I know that)

however, it is also mentioned that there are still periods after 14 days.
namely:
2 period = 30 days
3 period = several months

Questions:
What are these periods?
In which document of the rules for using the UpWork service are they listed?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Aleksei:

I understand if you are confused.

14 days: When you submit work for a fixed-price contract using the "Submit Work" button, a client has 14 days to review the work. If the client does nothing, then payment is AUTOMATICALLY released to the freelancer.

30 days: After a fixed-price contract has been closed, or after payment has been released for a fixed-price milestone, the client has 30 days within which he can file a dispute.

After 30 days, it is done and over with, as far as Upwork is concerned.

After 30 days, the client may still be able to click a button that sends a REQUEST to you, to ask you for a refund. But that's basically just a note. The client has absolutely no power to do anything to affect you through Upwork.

HOWEVER: If the client wants to violate Upwork rules, she can still contact her credit card company AFTER the 30-day period and request a chargeback. This is rare, but possible.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Aleksei:

I understand if you are confused.

14 days: When you submit work for a fixed-price contract using the "Submit Work" button, a client has 14 days to review the work. If the client does nothing, then payment is AUTOMATICALLY released to the freelancer.

30 days: After a fixed-price contract has been closed, or after payment has been released for a fixed-price milestone, the client has 30 days within which he can file a dispute.

After 30 days, it is done and over with, as far as Upwork is concerned.

After 30 days, the client may still be able to click a button that sends a REQUEST to you, to ask you for a refund. But that's basically just a note. The client has absolutely no power to do anything to affect you through Upwork.

HOWEVER: If the client wants to violate Upwork rules, she can still contact her credit card company AFTER the 30-day period and request a chargeback. This is rare, but possible.

Thank you for the absolutely complete answer. Regards, Aleksei

lysis10
Community Member

An arbitrator told me that they can absolutely ask for a full refund, and this was months later. My first payment from that client was August, and my arbitration didn't happen until the end of January. So, if it goes that far, Upwork rules don't matter.

petra_r
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

An arbitrator told me that they can absolutely ask for a full refund, and this was months later. My first payment from that client was August, and my arbitration didn't happen until the end of January. So, if it goes that far, Upwork rules don't matter.

Ah yes, but a dispute can be initiated up to 30 days after the last payment was released.  I used to think it only includes that (last) payment but that seems to not be the case.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members