cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do about 'Lying' clients and Long term good clients with 'no' work.

evelyn2509
Active

Hi Upwork Family,

I am hoping, you will suggest me what to do as I am very much hurt by a couple of things happened with clients and how my scores came down. Also, I have a couple of clients who still like to assign me work when it is available, hence, will not end the contract. I don't work anywhere else and I am worried because of these comments and scores, I won't get new clients as they will believe the written words instead of my work efficiency.

I am going to give 4 examples of lying clients:

The author planned to change the content of the book at the end of the project; before that, they asked me to add pictures and offered to pay extra. I formatted the book and even proved it is ready to upload. They wouldn't respond for days; then after a lot of follow up, I don't get paid extra for the extra work, in spite of accepting the cover design is good and it wasn't my fault 'they give a negative review'.

The client asked for simple proofreading (70k words) and mentioned everything is going well during the regular update; again no response for a week. All of the sudden the contract is paused and then again, noresponse and then ends it. At the end of the project, says - I didn't put effort at all. So, I explained it in the review, that 'I was asked for simple proofreading and someone else would work with the author again' later the client changes the 'stars' leaves me a personal message that I have changed the feedback and 'let's leave it that'.
The client is happy for months, happy with all the documents but the last one, but says that's fine, only two changes were required and all is well. Then, disappears for more than a month, after the request, he pauses the contracts and after more follow up, ends the contract and mentions that my proficiency wasn't meeting their expectations. Attachment of the last assignment. Later, I came to know that was about my knowledge related to gaming not about my language.

This client deserves a cake. In spite of clearly telling I am a native speaker (part British & part Indian) since my dad's a 'white' British and I am from England, still studying in Oxford. After writing nearly 150 articles on shorter deadlines, the client realises that I am not a native English speaker, hence must not be paid the 'usual price'.

And then we have clients who like to continue working with us - why does Upwork's algorithm, reduces our score based on this point. I believe the scores should only reflect 'stars' given by the clients on the project that has ended not on the jobs in progress.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

All,

This thread has  been closed from further replies. 

Evelyn, please refer to the information in the support ticket to complete your account verification. 

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS