🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What to do about a client who says "work for ...
Page options
jonathanbrowncfa
Community Member

What to do about a client who says "work for free or i'll give you a bad review?"

There's a lot more too it, but the subject says most of it.  One thing I regret greatly, and one piece of advice I have to offer is:   if the client immediately says they want to use a different messaging system other than Upwork, don't do it.   I doubt that Upwork will put much weight in the Signal messages that prove my case.  Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jonathan, 

Thank you for sharing your tip. It sounds like you've experienced a few fraudulent clients. I would like to confirm that is okay to discuss the project through a third-party messaging software provided the client and freelancer agree to communicate outside of Upwork. Some clients may suggest/request to communicate through email or Skype, and this is not against the Upwork Terms of Service. Freelancers can share information with their client through email. However, its best to submit all work and contract negotiations through the Upwork platform and Messages. This way your communication is easily documented in case an issue arises. 

I also highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths