cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do? person who can do 2 absolutely different kind of works.

Evgeniy B Member Since: Oct 10, 2015
1 of 8

Hello all.

Please advice me how to oranize two very different professional directions.

I have 2 professions: 3d design and web-programming.

I would like to make two different portfolios for every kind of works.

What can I do in this case?

Mix two professions in portfolio? It is very confusing!

Please advice.

Thanks.

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
2 of 8

Pick one and concentrate on it. If clients see a freelancer who offers two very different services they tend to assume he isn't very good at either of them. Upwork seems to be a pretty good place for programming work, so focus on that here. Find another platform for your design work.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 8

I do 3 sections. LOL

I put what I focus on the most at the top of my profile and then add the secondary and tertiary stuff at the middle and end.

At first I was getting some odd invites and notifcations, but it seems now that I have a few jobs under my belt for the top 2 things that I like to do, the system is sending me notifications and invites for both. 

Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
4 of 8

Yes, but you're special.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

When you add portfolio pieces to your portfolio, there is no limitation to the number of job skills you can use, and no limit to the number of job skills that can be associated with a single portfolio item.

Your portfolio will automatically be split into separate sections based on the different job skills or job categories you associate with individual portfolio items.

There is nothing wrong with having multiple sections in your portfolio, but you should be aware that if your profile page or your portfolio is not focused, it can be detrimental to you when trying to apply to jobs, especially when you're new.

When a contractor has established a track record by having successfully finished some jobs, it is easier for them to list multiple job skills. I always advocate maintaining a tightly-focused profile and portfolio when first starting out.

Personally, as a client, I can tell you that when I am hiring artists, I won't look at profiles of artists who also list writing or programming as skills. When I hire a programmer, I focus on contractors who list a small number of skills focused on the programming language I need help with. If I need a Perl programmer, I'm more likely to hire somebody who only does Perl and maybe one other language, rather than somebody who lists 10 different languages.

Evgeniy B Member Since: Oct 10, 2015
6 of 8

Thank you all for such a good opinions.

Yes I agree with Preston regarding hiring single oriented portfolio and skills than all-in-one profiles. Thank you.

Community Guru
Mario C Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
7 of 8

I don't think that should be a problem, and is a complementary skill, some 3d  models are better done with help of programming scripts, that is why Blender has the option for python programming 

Community Guru
Steve B Member Since: Jul 1, 2015
8 of 8

Evgeniy, I think Preston's advice is correct and I was seeing the problem of having two specialties in my profile.  In my case, 1) designing Google AdWords campaigns & the associated landing pages; and 2) developing business plans.

Since I'm not that well established yet on Upwork (only 3 1/2 months since starting) about a month ago I decided to remove the text referencing business plan development, and to focus my profile tightly on AdWords campaigns which is where I spend the bulk of my time anyway.

I did setup a profile for developing business plans on another site, so when I see a business plan project that looks particularly interesting, I can always apply to it and direct them to the second profile.

When you're new not that many clients are going to "find you" anyway, you have to "find them" by applying.  So the downside of not having keywords for your second or third specialty in your profile isn't that great as it might seem at first.  As long as you have a secondary profile somewhere that you can refer them to. It could be as simple as your LinkedIn profile.

hth.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS