🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What to do when client behaves rudely?
Page options
nahid_hridoy
Community Member

What to do when client behaves rudely?

Recently got hired on a new job. The client is very strange from the start of the work. For example, He likes to mention how much time the task should take. Like "do this in 2 hours" or I am going to sleep now will ask questions about the task when I woke up. The odd thing is I didn't even saw his message because I was outside due to some family reason at that time. 

Now he has an IT/Project Manager. Any task he gave I had to discuss with the IT/Project Manager before I start. For the recent task,  I did just that and deliver the work. The Project Manager is happy with my work and said "Nice Work, we will review it".

After some time maybe 1/2 hours the client knocked me on the group chat and said "I am NOT going to pay you, for NOT following the task instructions. This is not what I needed, I am just wasting my money & time on you". This is very odd because the Project Manager said that my delivery work is Very Nice and they are reviewing it.

I only counted 40 mins for that task so far at that time. So I replied, "I do not want to waste your time and money, I will delete those 40mins and close the contract ". The reason is this kind of client can reduce productivity and cause Anxiety. So, I think it's better to just move on. This client has pretty bad reviews from freelancers recently. I didn't notice that when I start working with him 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, when I said I am going to close the contract because I completed the task according to the discussion I had with the Project Manager and he is happy with my work. So, if there is any confusion it must be between them. The client replied, "Don't do that, redo the whole thing and resubmit."

At this point should I just close the contract? I don't like the way he kept blaming me for something which is not my fault.

If I close the contract then what should I say about the reason?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlbp
Community Member

This client has revealed their nature. If you continue to work with them, they will continue to act in ways true to that nature. 
Figure out the best way to remove yourself from the contract and drop them. I have a Top Rated perk that I have saved to use for situations like this. If you are concerned about feedback ramifications, you may need to move more cautiously.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "What to do when client behaves rudely?"

Somebody who has paid me $100 can get away with insulting my favorite football team.

Somebody who has paid me $1000 can get away with insulting my dog.

Somebody who has paid me $10,000 can get away with insulting my cat.

tlbp
Community Member

This client has revealed their nature. If you continue to work with them, they will continue to act in ways true to that nature. 
Figure out the best way to remove yourself from the contract and drop them. I have a Top Rated perk that I have saved to use for situations like this. If you are concerned about feedback ramifications, you may need to move more cautiously.

re: "I am NOT going to pay you, for NOT following the task instructions. This is not what I needed, I am just wasting my money & time on you"

If a client had a freelancer who wasn't following task instructions, and who she felt was wasting her time and money...

Rather than being rude, wouldn't the smart move be to stop working with that freelancer and continue working only with the freelancers on her team who DO follow instructions and who don't waste money and time? Or hire different freelancers?

But then... If it seems that all (or most) freelancers don't follow instructions and waste money and time, she might need to think about if the problem is truly with all freelancers, or with the client's instructions.

Preston H wrote:

re: "I am NOT going to pay you, for NOT following the task instructions. This is not what I needed, I am just wasting my money & time on you"

If a client had a freelancer who wasn't following task instructions, and who she felt was wasting her time and money...

Rather than being rude, wouldn't the smart move be to stop working with that freelancer and continue working only with the freelancers on her team who DO follow instructions and who don't waste money and time? Or hire different freelancers?

But then... If it seems that all (or most) freelancers don't follow instructions and waste money and time, she might need to think about if the problem is truly with all freelancers, or with the client's instructions.

Preston, this is exactly the point. I love the way you put it!

And Nahid, life is too short to keep working with all kinds of micromanagers and unprofessionals. Eject and move on, don't look back, and most importantly don't worry about it. Nothing you could have done better. The problem is in the client's business.

I had one client like that too. Disaster guy. Just one, fortunately.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members