Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with idle contract

baljit1290
Baljit S Member Since: Mar 12, 2018
1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I have 3-4 contracts idle on my profile which also shows to new client as "Jobs in progress". Consequently, new client avoid to interview freelancers who have many jobs in progress on their profile. Due to this, I also lost some good opportunities.

I asked many time to these clients to end contract if they don't any work for me but no response.

If I end contract from my side and client doen't provide feedback, Does it effect my JSS?

Or should I keep open such contracts ?

Any suggestion to this issue would be appreciated

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 7

Baljit S wrote:

If I end contract from my side and client doen't provide feedback, Does it effect my JSS?

No

Just close them.

baljit1290
Baljit S Member Since: Mar 12, 2018
3 of 7

Thank you for your suggestion. I would close them one by one

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 7

Baljit S.,

You might as well close them all at once and be done with it. There is no longer a negative effect on your JSS from projects you close without feedback from the client.

I suggest you send a message to each client thanking them for using your services and encouraging them to think of you for future projects (if that's true). Always leave a project on a positive note; it annoys me when clients close a project without so much as a thanks of any kind. But, maybe that's just me.

kinector
Community Guru
Mikko R Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
5 of 7
Baljit, please note that Will's advice is half right, half risky.

Indeed, as you already planned, you should close the projects one by one, 15 days apart. This way you can be sure that IF any of the clients wake up somehow to give you a nasty feedback, you still have options in the future.

It all of your clients reacted at the same time somehow, you'd be done over here. 😬

From your side, there no hurry as the delay doesn't cost you anything, so you can play it smart as you suggested. 👍

Sensing one last polite and positive message to each client as Will suggested is a good way to go. Then, a couple of days later, just click the button and don't worry.

Think tactically and succeed. All the best.
resultsassoc
Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
6 of 7

Mikko seems right to me. I'm a client, and I never check to see how many contracts are active with a freelancer before inviting him or her to a project, nor before interviewing and hiring. Why do you believe you're being held back?

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 7

Baljit S.,

I occasionally have potential clients contact me asking me to submit a proposal on their job if I “have enough bandwidth” or some other reference to how busy I am, so there are certainly some clients who, as you say, “avoid to interview freelancers who have many jobs in progress.”

Knowing that at least one client does not care how busy you are is interesting, but irrelevant. It would be foolish for a freelancer to ignore that their list of “active” projects is growing larger due to projects that are actually inactive (and have been for a month or more).

If you close only one project every two weeks, then that may effectively mean you will only close one project for up to every four weeks when you take into account that the client then has up to two weeks to reply and you then may not see the effect on your JSS for up to two more weeks.

And if you see a single client’s feedback adversely affected your JSS and exercise your perk to remove the feedback from the calculation of your JSS, will you wait another few months (at the very least 10 weeks) before you close another idle contract yourself?

Meanwhile, if you are a busy freelancer, yet more actual and inactive “active” projects are bulking up the number potential clients see in your stats.

If you have waited a month or more before closing an idle contract and a client has ignored messages from you during that period, it is my experience silent clients remain silent. They do not leave any feedback at all.

You will have to decide whether you want to find out if that is also true for the types of clients you work with. (I can’t guarantee that will always be the case, but if I wanted a guarantee I’d buy a toaster.)

Whether an approach is risky or just half risky, Upwork has, for some reason, purposely made sure that this challenge poses some risk to all freelancers. And you have to decide how important it is to you to increase the number of potential clients asking you to submit proposals on their projects versus what is the risk of your JSS being adversely affected by closing idle projects yoursle.

There is no perfect answer. Good luck finding the solution that is right for you.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS