cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do with these unresponsive clients?

Cherrie H Member Since: Feb 10, 2012
1 of 6
I've been sending messages to clients who didn't give tasks for quite a while now. One of the clients told to resume the work within 3 weeks but it's been 3 months already, I didn't hear any updates from him. I've got many "job in progress" on my Odesk profile. I've got total of 13 jobs in progress then I asked some of my clients to end the contract as I'm having hard times landing a job because other clients who have job opening might think that I am very busy person and I could not focus on the given task well if ever. So, there is a possibility that I could not be chosen. I hope Odesk will take any actions regarding this matter. I think,if I would also end the contract, I’m sure they'll not provide any ratings. To freelancers who experience same as mine, feel free to share your stories.
Ace Contributor
Francisco F Member Since: Nov 13, 2010
2 of 6
I had clients like that. I just sent them a message that I'll be ending the contract in one week if the no work assignment continues. Some gave me a 5-star feedback while others had no feedback. You may write in your feedback why you ended the contract. For the last two years, I have one client who to pays me for full-time work for an as-needed workload. I've had weeks-long and month-long no work with pay.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
3 of 6
Sign me up for this client Smiley Tongue [quote]For the last two years, I have one client who to pays me for full-time work for an as-needed workload. I've had weeks-long and month-long no work with pay.[/quote]

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
4 of 6
You have enough completed jobs that a few with no feedback is not going to do anything. If they are stopping you from getting new work, and you are done with th work for the client, go ahead and end them. Everyone has plenty of these. Also, if you are worried about using the extra feedback score from the jobs, remember that you can always contact the client later down the road. You can enable them to give you feeback even a year later, but keep in mind that you can only change feedback once. Twice a year I go through my past jobs list, starting from the bottom and send out a message like this- "Dear XXX, I really enjoyed working for you in the past, I left your great feedback and if you have a moment, I would appreciate if you could leave feedback for our contract as well. Just let me know and I will be happy to enable the change feedback feature so that you can leave feedback for the work. Have a great day!" In half the cases, the client is no longer on oDesk, so of course they dont reply, but the other half are usually a bit embarrased that they forgot to leave feedback, and happily do so. So, if the return your message saying that they will, enable the feature and get your feedback. For those that dont reply, try again a few months later, but remember dont enabe the feature until your past client agrees to leave feedback or you will have wasted your chance.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
5 of 6
beats me.... Currently, I have a lot of jobs in progress, and no amount of messaging seems to work (I keep it at once a week or every other week for the jobs which are paused for more than a month). No replies til now from my paused contracts, so after a few times of contacting them I just don't bother anymore and just explain the situation to new clients. I have not ended any of the paused contracts myself because the client might tarnish my ratings. Some can get quite vindictive and only respond (by giving you a 1 overall rating/very low rating) once you end the contract yourself. It doesn't seem to matter even if they sung you praises for your work before. Happened to someone I know who also works through oDesk.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
6 of 6
Instead of closing jobs automatically after three months, what oDesk did in past, today they just pause it automatically. So, there are two possible outcomes: 1) you'll have more and more jobs in progress, 2) you'll ask clients to end jobs and they'll be annoyed with that and gave you not excellent feedback.