cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do?

ajaypalsidhu82
Ajaypal Singh S Member Since: Apr 14, 2017
1 of 9

I am relatively new on Upwork so may be you guys can help me. I have been working with a client from about the start of this month. It is a fixed price job. We agreed upon milestones. Everything was going fine and she released the first milestone on time and without any issues. Then suddenly for the past few days I had been unable to contact her.

The second milestone's work was completed. I tried to contact her and kept working as I did not want to moss the deadline when she came back. The work for the third milestone was also done but still neither did she contact me nor did she release the second milestone. But today she sent me a message explaining why she could not respond and she also released the second milestone.

Now you guys might be thinking then what is my problem?

My problem is what if she had not got back to me? I would have done 2 more milestones (worth $600) and would have lost the money.

Now you would say that I should have asked her to put the money in escrow. I did. But she put the money only for the first milestone ($400). I did not push the matter too much as it was a $2000 job (and $2000 is a lot of money for me) and I thought that I might loose the client if I stuck to my stand too much. But by not sticking to my stand I again could have lost the money if she had not come back.

I wanted to ask how you experienced freelancers handle such situations. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ajay.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
2 of 9

@Ajaypal Singh S wrote:

But she put the money only for the first milestone ($400). I did not push the matter too much as it was a $2000 job (and $2000 is a lot of money for me) and I thought that I might loose the client if I stuck to my stand too much.

There is no legit reason for a client to refuse to put money in escrow. If a client runs when you ask for milestones to be funded, it only means that they had no intention to pay in the first place. So you're not losing a client, you're just dodging a bullet when you insist on milestones to be funded.

What happened here is that you delivered 2 milestones for the price of the 1st milestone. She won't pay you, she never intended to.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
ajaypalsidhu82
3 of 9

Thanks for the help Rene.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 9

Hi Ajay,

If the client doesn't fund Escrow for all Milestone when they send you an offer, you can request them to redo the offer and fully fund the contract amount or submit the first Milestone and wait for the client to fund the second one before continuing the work. That way, you'll ensure your payment is protected and you're only working on funded Milestones.

Untitled
ajaypalsidhu82
5 of 9

Thanks for the help Vladimir. I'll make sure of that from now on.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
6 of 9

Also I would left an accurate feedback for that lady.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
7 of 9

Female-yes.  Lady?  Me think not.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 9

Am I misreading something? The client HAS paid milestones one and 2, he was asking "what if she hadn't..."

ajaypalsidhu82
9 of 9

That's exactly right, Petra. I was typing my reply to correct them. Even I didn't notice the anamoly in Rene's reply.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS