🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » What to say when you're turned down for a job
Page options
shawnvw
Community Member

What to say when you're turned down for a job

Occasionally, I'll get make a proposal, communicate with the client, and then be told that they're choosing someone else or suspending the project. Today, this is how I responded to the e-mail:

Okay. Thanks for letting me know.

Please consider closing the posting on Upwork. We can only apply to a limited number of jobs, and freelancers wouldn't want to submit to a job that's no longer hiring.

Thanks again!

He closed the job less than an hour later.

3 REPLIES 3
pudingstudio
Community Member

Shawn W wrote:

Occasionally, I'll get make a proposal, communicate with the client, and then be told that they're choosing someone else or suspending the project. Today, this is how I responded to the e-mail:

Please consider closing the posting on Upwork. We can only apply to a limited number of jobs, and freelancers wouldn't want to submit to a job that's no longer hiring.

Thanks again!

Nice share.

Assuming your intention is for more people to see it, hope by responding that I haven't spoiled it.

I support this.
It's a good reminder not to be lazy (like I'm becoming) and provide information which is going to help myself and others.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Shawn W wrote:

Thanks again!

I'm not sure how I feel about the part about telling them to close the job or that we can apply to a limited number of jobs. I'm not sure that is true. Now that connects cost 15 cents, you can buy as many as you want and apply as much as you want, I think. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong there. 

My suggestion to you would be to always close with something like "If you find that you need additional help or have any questions in the future, feel free to reach out." Leave the door open. It might not work out with whomever they pick. 

I think that with clients not closing contracts that a nudge is needed. Maybe leave out any limitations but just mention closing
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members