Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

What will happen if I never end a contract?

Highlighted
Active Member
Ordancho T Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
1 of 11

Hi Community,

In the past I had really bad experiences with not responsive clients,and that costed me a lot of jobs,even if I tried to improve my JSS working more than what was described I was never able to.Before 2 weeks I finished 3 jobs and I worked 2x more than what was described,my JSS was 87% then,after the update it went down to 84% with all jobs finished with 5* its really annoying.But thats it.Right now I have a client who is not responding even after reaching to him more than 10 times,I contacted him even on social media.So right now If I end the contract my upwork JSS will surely go down from 84 to somwhere close to 75%(my understading) which is probably the end.So Im wondering what will happen if I leave this contract on forever?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 11

@Ordancho T wrote:

Hi Community,

In the past I had really bad experiences with not responsive clients,and that costed me a lot of jobs,even if I tried to improve my JSS working more than what was described I was never able to.Before 2 weeks I finished 3 jobs and I worked 2x more than what was described,my JSS was 87% then,after the update it went down to 84% with all jobs finished with 5* its really annoying.But thats it.Right now I have a client who is not responding even after reaching to him more than 10 times,I contacted him even on social media.So right now If I end the contract my upwork JSS will surely go down from 84 to somwhere close to 75%(my understading) which is probably the end.So Im wondering what will happen if I leave this contract on forever?


 Contracts, where some payment has been made but that end without feedback, whether open or closed, do not negatively affect your JSS at all unless you have a significant percentage of such contracts.

 

ONLY contracts that end without payment, or stay open for a long time without payment, have a negative effect.

 

So the effect is the same, none.  Your JSS likely went down because of private feedback - unless you have contracts that ended without payment and feedback, were fully refunded etc.

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Ordancho T Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
3 of 11

Okay, I already know that contracts where payments have been made will not affect JSS,unless you have a lot of them.So with this I will have 4 contract with no feedback out of 22.It seems like the public feedback have 30% influence on the jSS,and private 70% based on what happened to me.So if I leave this contract forever or end it its the same influence right?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 11

Remember: the proportion of your open contracts which are LONG-TERM CLIENTS is factored into the JSS calculation. If this number is dragged down because you have too many inactive contracts, then you won't be able to reach 100% JSS.

 

A client is only counted as a long-term client if you have been paid by the client during the past month (and first got paid by the client three or more months ago).

 

Long-term client percentage IS displayed on your My Stats page.

 

Never closing a contract would drag that number down.

Highlighted
Active Member
Ordancho T Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
5 of 11

Its better to leave it open,and dont have the JSS go down even more.When I finish a job i get around 1% increase in JSS,and when someone does not leave feedback i get around 14% decrease in JSS.I dont get the logic in this.But im going to leave it open and try to climb past 90%,as 100% is not possible for me.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

@Ordancho T wrote:

Its better to leave it open,and dont have the JSS go down even more.When I finish a job i get around 1% increase in JSS,and when someone does not leave feedback i get around 14% decrease in JSS.I dont get the logic in this.But im going to leave it open and try to climb past 90%,as 100% is not possible for me.


 The above isn't true. Your JSS is down because of your private feedback(look at you "Clients who would recommend" percentage, and not because of one inactive contract or a "No feedback" one  at all.

 

If money has been paid, the contract does NOT affect your JSS, closed or open, unless you have a lot of such contracts which you do not.

The key is whether money has changed hands.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 11

@Preston H wrote:

Remember: the proportion of your open contracts which are LONG-TERM CLIENTS is factored into the JSS calculation. If this number is dragged down because you have too many inactive contracts, then you won't be able to reach 100% JSS.


 That isn't true. How in the world would either one (!) inactive contract OR the long term client percentage prevent him from reaching 100%?  He'd have to have a significant percentage of long term inactive contracts for them to have any effect on his JSS, which he doesn't have. He has one. Not even 5% of his total.

 


@Preston H wrote:

A client is only counted as a long-term client if you have been paid by the client during the past month (and first got paid by the client three or more months ago).

 

Long-term client percentage IS displayed on your My Stats page.

 

Never closing a contract would drag that number down.


 Again, not true at all. Having a long term contracts adds to the JSS. NOT having them does NOT "drag it down." I also have no idea how you mathematically arrive at the conclusion that an open contract drags down the long-term-client percentage.  The percentage as such isn't even important when it comes to the JSS impact, or otherwise winning new contracts would be detrimental, which would be totally nuts. (New clients are, by definition, not long term yet, so they lower the % initially when you win them)

 

No, you do NOT have to be paid during the last month for a client to count as long term either.


Do you just make this stuff up as you go along or what?

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
8 of 11

Petra R wrote:


Do you just make this stuff up as you go along or what?


 To be fair, I've read a couple of times that long-term clients don't benefit your JSS unless you've earned from them in the last month. But that's a bit different from saying that they don't count as long-term clients. And it wasn't from an official source anyway. Who knows how these rumours get started.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 11

@Richard W wrote:

@Petra R wrote:


Do you just make this stuff up as you go along or what?


 To be fair, I've read a couple of times that long-term clients don't benefit your JSS unless you've earned from them in the last month. But that's a bit different from saying that they don't count as long-term clients. And it wasn't from an official source anyway. Who knows how these rumours get started.


 It doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with "not being able to get to 100%" because of the inactive contract somehow doing something to the long-term client percentage.  That's out and out nonsense. I've  just a minute ago seen a profile with literally several dozen loooong dead contracts at 100% JSS.

 

The OPs entire issue and question has nothing at all to do with the whole concept of long term clients and the long term clients percentage doesn't in any way ever get affected by an inactive contract.

 

At the end of the day whether he closes it or leaves it open - the impact on the JSS won't matter. It might be worth waiting a while so he has a few more closed ones before closing it, but even closing it now will mean a "No feedback" percentage under 20% which should be safe either way.

 

 

 

Highlighted
Active Member
Ordancho T Member Since: Aug 15, 2017
10 of 11

I would admit that I had one long contract which was not active for a long time,thats when I started upwork and did not knew that I can end the contract by myself.All other contracts had payments inside,and some of them(3) had no feedback.The point is whenever I do finish a job my JSS goes up 1%,and whenever I finish a job by myself when client is not responding the JSS goes down ~14% this have happened twice.As I already told last JSS update I finished 3 jobs,all with 5*,and its not possible JSS to go down from 87% to 84%.It means that the private feedback actually affects the JSS maybe more than 80%.The public feedback is basically doing nothing.I will end the contract now by myself,and I will get back to you in 2 weeks on this thread.I wont accept any job by then,and you will see how much the JSS is going down.Also when I gained the *Rising Talent* status I got a chance to remove bad feedback,I removed the bad feedback and the next JSS update my sucess score went down again by 5-7% I dont remember exactly how much it was, and this is the only thing that I did between the update,I did not started any job,I did not finished anything.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS