cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey thanks!

Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
1 of 8
I'm stuck in a stalemate with this client who missed being present on the time he scheduled for an interview on Skype.... TWICE - so I hit the decline button on the job with a note that I don't think this can work as I want to work for someone who respects my time. But since we had exchanged messages on Odesk about when to meet and the likes -- I'm still getting messages on the same thread of this client asking for forgiveness.. even when I have withdrawn my application. First message, he had an urgent appointment - can I forgive him? Second message - someone died in his family & he would like to pay two hours of my time to compensate. Now that's totally insulting 'coz it would mean he wants to pay this heartless freelancer for ditching him just because she doesn't care about a death in his family; dunno if I should even believe it. What would you do if you were in my shoes? I just have this motto: Fool me once, shame on you.. Fool me twice, shame on me... Fool me thrice, the fool is ME.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
2 of 8
Client even offered me $100 as fee for my waiting on skype twice and of course I declined it. I stopped replying to him and for a few weeks he just kept on sending me messages every once in a while and of course it always comes with drama (he had a toothache, he attended a wedding, his dog died, his mom called him to pick her up). Not sure if its the same person but maybe your client needs to fix his life first. I told my client that before I stopped responding to him. His response to that was - would I like to help him fix it, its totally crazy Smiley Tongue Some people are so lonely they are using oDesk to find email pals Smiley Tongue

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Heather H Member Since: May 9, 2011
3 of 8
It really depends. Clients are people too, and often, can get busy more than we are. The fact that he is offering to compensate for your spent time shows a lot about their clear intentions in my book. It also depends on how much you may want the project. I have and often still do play Skype/phone tag with clients. The longest time I have had to wait to actually finish a interview was 2 months. In my case, they are all projects that I really wanted, and once the interviews were complete and the project started, I never had any problems. I must also mention that each of these projects were worth $2k+ and ALL of the clients I have played Skype/phone tag with ended up being long term clients, most of which I still have event today. I just finished playing tag with a client for the past 3 weeks, and now that we have had a chance to finally speak, it is likely that it will be a one year project, so, it was worth my time waiting to speak to them. Mind you, I don't just sit and stare at Skype or the phone while I am waiting, I am doing other work while keeping the window open, so there really is no loss of productive time for me. Maybe you can just set your appointment window, keep doing what you normally do for that time until they call. It may work out for the best for you. On another note, I am sure there are plenty of folks out there who really are just wasting your time, so you have to keep your eyes open for that. For any project less than $500 or 3 months of dedicated work, it might not be worth it. Also, each time a client misses a meeting for an interview, regardless of the reason, I increase my upfront percentage by 2% (it always starts at 25-50% anyway), since to me, if a person cant speak with me on time, they might not pay me on time either.
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
4 of 8
Go with your instincts. OK, missing a skype session that the client scheduled once can happen...real life does intrude sometimes. Twice is a bit much; especially if you cleared the time specially. Not sure I believe the death in the family bit either.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
5 of 8
[quote=Marissa S.]Now that's totally insulting 'coz it would mean he wants to pay this heartless freelancer for ditching him just because she doesn't care about a death in his family; dunno if I should even believe it.[/quote] I love this because it is totally charming about your culture versus ours. If he is an American client, I wouldn't worry so much about insulting on such terms. Give your condolences and accept the pay (if that is the way you are inclined to go). Sad to say it, but here, we don't tend to make as many concessions for such things. While we certainly hand out sympathy, we still expect things to go as planned. Especially in this sort of online, first meeting, who-knows-if-this-guy-is-for-real situation. Now, this also depends on the closeness of the relative, but if all he says is a death in the family, it is safe to bet it is distant enough. If he is able to go about his business, as evidenced by continuing to contact you, I doubt he would look at it as an insult.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
6 of 8
I appreciate all of your feedback here. @Dianne: Maybe, we're talking about the same person. Clue: Superhero @Heather: Wow, 2 months... I haven't waited that long.. I mean, 72 hours is the longest wait time for me haha @Darren: Yea, I know. Both times are his choosing as these are convenient for him. Ok, on the second chat he was like 2 hours earlier and was asking me to go online & I was still havin' sweet dreams by then @Robin: I know right. He's clever. He'd use my sympathy against me to win me over.. almost worked though. Ah, manipulator from down under.
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 8
Looking at it this way, it's rare for someone to be fine one minute and dead another. A death in the family can be preceded by many trips to hospital, consultations with doctors, time spent dealing with financial responsibilities, etc. It's not as simple as a day off for the funeral then back to work.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
8 of 8
From your clues, 'the superhero manipulator from down under', yep, same person Smiley Happy I think he is looking for pinays to be chatmates/email pals.

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS