cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats all this fees coming from?

Maria L Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
1 of 5
I keep getting bonuses from my client..but upwork takes about 5% of it..
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
2 of 5

@Maria L wrote:
I keep getting bonuses from my client..but upwork takes about 5% of it..

It will probably 10% of it. What's wrong with that? Bonuses are pay and Upworks receives a commission of 10% of the payments you receive. 

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 5

Upwork takes 10% of any payment made, including bonuses. Do you not think it is fair? Look at it this way: their income is taken as a percentage of any undertaking, bonuses included; without it, they would be out of business, and the freelancers who work here would not be able to connect with the clients that post jobs here. 

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
4 of 5

@Irene B wrote:

Upwork takes 10% of any payment made, including bonuses. Do you think it is fair? Look at it this way: their income is taken as a percentage of any undertaking, bonuses included; without it, they would be out of business, and the freelancers who work here would not be able to connect with the clients that post jobs here. 

Irene, yes, I agree, I believe this to be fair too.

Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
5 of 5

If there were no fees for bonuses, then people would fiddle the system and set a $1000 project as $20 and then pay a $980 bonus. That's $2 in fees rather than $100. The provider and the freelancer split the difference and get $49 each. Naughty!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS