cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats wrong with the clients from France ??

Highlighted
Debika Rani P Member Since: Jun 29, 2014
1 of 10

Since, I have started in oDesk, I have completed 10 projects and 7 of them from France. The clients from France have not paid me ever though they have vrified their payment method.

After delivery and submitting payment request they reply like " Thanks for your help. Your work's is very good. I'll have more project for you in short time and I'll pay you in short time."

But their short time never end.

Whats problem with them ?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Debika,

I'm sorry about your experience, but there is nothing wrong with clients from France. One of my clients was from Paris and not only was he straightforward and communicative, but he also paid immediately and gave me a bonus.

There are bad clients from every country all over the world (it is not region-specific). When choosing clients, check that they have a verified payment method, that they have good feedback, and during the application/interview/hiring process, see how they conduct themselves and go with your gut feeling.

In your case I cannot tell whether those were fixed-price or hourly jobs. If the milestone was funded through Escrow (which it should have been before you started working), then the money will automatically be released in 14 days whether or not your client responds (if you request a release).

If you used the oDesk Team App's time tracker (essential for hourly jobs), the hours you worked are guaranteed by oDesk (provided there are screenshots and sufficient memos), and you should get your money.

I hope this helps. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Nanang T Member Since: Nov 22, 2014
3 of 10

[Quote: There are bad clients from every country all over the world (it is not region-specific)

Well said ... Bad guys aka. clients are everywhere, and it's absolutely not region spesific. Whether it is in real life or online community. Have to be careful, but don't get discouraged.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 10

I think Isabelle got this exactly right. Debika's profile shows only three jobs finished, and it seems likely that she simply is new to oDesk and does not realize how payments work. 7 clients in a row doing the same thing to deny payment really makes no sense in my experience on oDesk. One new contractor not realizing how pay works makes more sense. This is all good news for Debika, whose payments are presumably on the way and will reach her eventually.

The way payments work on oDesk, payment is guaranteed for both fixed rate and for hourly rate projects when a client does nothing, if the contractor submits her work using the submit button or uses the hourly time tracker. A client really has to take very willful action in order to deny payment.

oDesk's automatic fixed rate payment after 14 days is a great thing and a genuine protection for contractors.

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 10

^^ "One new contractor not realizing how pay works makes more sense."

Exactly. I will admit though, them saying "I'll pay you in short time" sounds kind of strange. Perhaps they also don't know how the system works.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 10

re: them saying "I'll pay you in short time"

Yes. This is very odd. 7 people in a row doing the same out-of-the-ordinary thing is very odd no matter. In fact, statistically speaking it is almost impossible.

We don't know the whole picture. Maybe they all are holding off on issuing payment. Maybe a group of people all living in the same country who all know each other told each other about a talented new oDesk contractor who doesn't complain or report them if they don't pay her, and they all hired her with the intention of defrauding her.

But here is another possible scenario: This new contractor, who is not a native English speaker, misunderstood cients when they told her that the payment would arrive in a short time. The clients undersand that even if they issue payment immediately, there is an oDesk hold period of at least 6 days before the payment can be released into their account.

So, maybe something was lost in translation, between non-native English speaking clients AND contractor, and what the contractor things the clients said is not what they meant to say.

Maybe we are misinterpreting this story. Were there actually 7 different French clients who all did and said the same thing (?!). Maybe there are just one or two French contractors for whom the contractor did 7 different jobs. But that scenario begs the question: Who does 7 jobs in a row for the same client, each time failing to get paid, but each time following that non-payment up by working another job?

Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 10

^^ Smiley LOL Man LOL Cat LOL Woman LOL

Highlighted
Debika Rani P Member Since: Jun 29, 2014
8 of 10

I always have same experience with all the clients from France. I can not submit payment request because after hiring they were not contacting me. Though I was sending the message daily but they were not replying. At this cause I ended contract but they replied within 10 munities after ending contract. In reply, they requested to complete project and I completed within deadline.

But after submitting all they are not responding.

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 10
Debika, you are a good person who has done your best to do a good job for each and every client you have had.

But your problem is not France. Your problem is that you do not know how to use fixed rate contracts. You repeatedly closed contracts yourself before getting paid, when you could have simply done nothing other than use the submit button to send them the finished work and then wait fourteen days and you would have been paid automatically.

If you had a valid fixed rate contract in place, that is. From your description, it sounds as though a valid contract was in place, but without actually seeing your account from the back end, I can not be certain. If you did not have a valid fixed rate contract in place for which you had been legitimately hired, then you should have never have done any work at all.

You do not understand the written rules of fixed rate contracts nor do you understand the unwritten rules. This is entirely forgivable given the fact that you are so new to oDesk. Your profile shows only three jobs. For your own sake, you need to do more research about how fixed rate contracts work before you do any more of them. You need to read about fixed rate contracts in the documents provided in the customer support section and (very important) you need to read about how successful and experienced contractors use the fixed rate contract model by reading applicable threads in this community forum section. There are many posts here which provide step by step instructions.

If you search for "fixed rate" within community forum search box you will find many helpful threads. Learn from the experiences and mistakes of others.

Here is a good place to start:

community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/The-client-didn-t-pay-me-what-the-max-i-can-do-to-him/m-p/57163#M19400
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Debika,

Experienced users have given some good advice on this thread. I would just like to confirm that you should not end a fixed-price contract, because if you do, the money funded in Escrow will return to the client's account. Please, do not start working until there is a funded milestone and let the client close the contract after the payment is released to you.

Best of luck!

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS