🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When Connects are/should be returned
Page options
ambroz
Community Member

When Connects are/should be returned

Hi guys,

As I understand connects should be returned to the freelancer when I job is posted and then closed without hire. Sometimes I got connects back (job cancelled), mostly not (job closed), but the misterious is I never know when to expect is back or not. 

So where is the difference between job cancelling and job closing???

I suggest also Upwork should review if client look into proposal or he decided to hire sbd before a freelancer sent a proposal. Because we never know, when is the last time we can send proposal.

Examples:

1. Client open a job. I send Proposal. Client asked me how many hours I am able to work on the project. I answered. Next day he closed a job and open a new one the same content (almost copy/paste). He has about 20 posted jobs and 0% hire rate. 

2. Client open a job. Seems very interesting, so I sent Proposal. He wanted specific combination of technologies, so I answered I will make a test to check if I can succesfully join that tehnologies before starting the contract. Every second day he asking me if I made a tests. Then I took a whole day and succesfully done test (unpaid) and inform him I can do the project. He didnt send any offer. I asked him go ahead, but before 2days communication then became much slower and usually getting unuseful ("stupid") answers, after a month he closed the project.

3. Another very interesting job. When almost everything was ready to start to project, she informed me that she do not have access to the important device which was important for the project. So she closed a job without hiring anybody.

4. For many of proposals I am not sure if clients opened it or not. Some of them hiring another freelancers, some of them are closed without.

In all such examples I (and other freelancers) wasting connects, and I think we should not.

I understand and agree that Upwork tried that clients will got "more serious" proposals if freelancer will pay for connects, but still I think that the system needs repairs

2 REPLIES 2
f_tiangco
Community Member

I agree 99% 

I think this happens when client are fishing for idea

I think free connects is one of the solution to this problem.

but this is just me

florydev
Community Member

Ambrož B wrote:

Hi guys,

As I understand connects should be returned to the freelancer when I job is posted and then closed without hire. Sometimes I got connects back (job cancelled), mostly not (job closed), but the misterious is I never know when to expect is back or not. 

You understood it incorrectly.  Connects are returned when a job is cancelled by either the client (because they decided not to hire and actually made an effort to close it) or Upwork determines that it violates a policy.  Otherwise when the job expires on it's own connects are not returned.

In all such examples I (and other freelancers) wasting connects, and I think we should not.

I understand and agree that Upwork tried that clients will got "more serious" proposals if freelancer will pay for connects, but still I think that the system needs repairs

I am not sure who thinks that, but I definitely think they will get less.  I think that people who can't or are unwilling to pay for connects in the face of uncertainity will not and thus will either wait for invites, which are also now limited, or will fall off Upwork.

It's all well and good to want things and make suggestions but the reality is that Upwork charges 0.15 per connect and none are free.  You have to decide if you can find a strategy to work with that or not.

Or you can wait for it to change...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths