Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Upwork makes your day

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 25

@Nichola L wrote:

I would also question Cuba being the largest exporter of sugar . . .

I've heard this one before. Since I live next door to Cuba2, I wonder that too. I got to chew on raw sugar cane when I was a kid. That was cool. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
22 of 25

Great trivia... except:

1. Jamaica has over 120 rivers and most are unexplored and unavigatable as many are underground.
  2. Switzerland eats the most chocolate per capita. Not the most. The country only has 8 million people.
  3. Australia was originally called "Terra Australis Incognita". New Holland was the termed given by Dutch Navigators for the western coast of Australia in approx 1606, 60 years after the first naming of the unknown land.
  4. Hawaii has 13 letters in the alphabet.
  5. No one has proven where french fries come from. The french still say they invented them and so does Belgium.
  6. The Chines didn't invent venetian blinds, they've been dated all the way back to ancient Egypt and Persia.
  7. The Great Wall is 13,170.69 miles (21,196.18 kilometers) -More than 3x more than the approx.
  8. The Taj Mahal is not made entirely out of marble. The building material used is brick-in-lime mortar veneered with red sandstone and marble and inlay work of precious/semi precious stones
  9. Philadelphia, not New York, was the first capital of the USA. New York was the eighth.
  10. The 13 stripes in the US flag are for colonies, the stars are for states.
  11. Cuba is 8th for sugar exports and only counts for 1.7% of export worth. Brazil is 1st with 35.8%
  12. The yoyo is over 2,500 years old. Filipinos version of the yoyo was 200 years ago and was built with thick 20ft length ropes, not the actual yoyo. The word yoyo means "come back" in Tagalog which does not mean the toy.
  13. Pinocchio does not mean "pine head" in Italian. It means "Pinocchio" Testa di pino is "head of pine" in Italian
  14. Monopoly doesn't print more than the treasury daily. The US treasury prints more than $750million daily, 5x as much as monopoly.
  15. Italy and France only account for 30% of the world's produced wine. Nowhere near over 40%
  16. Sweden was the first country to allow women to vote in 1718. New Zealand was almost 200 years later.
  17. All mail before 1863 was not free. Mail was considered free of a delivery fee after 1863
  18. The Japanes national anthem is 5 lines. The 4 line verse is a poetic english translation. Not the actual song.
  19. The Austrailian Dragon is far from the fastest insect and is 8th in flying insects. The Horsefly is almost 3x as fast at 90mph
  20. Stonehenge is definitely over 5,000 years old if you don't count the statues we're discussing. But hey whats a few thousand years, give or take. The site of Stonehenge is close to 10,000yrs old.

Great fun if half of them weren't wrong with some being horribly far from fact.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
23 of 25
Thanks, Brian!

Somebody should sic you on that godawful dead-ringer/raining-cats-and-dogs canardocopia that stilll makes the rounds.

Best,
Michael
Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
24 of 25

@brian E wrote:

Great trivia... except:

1. Jamaica has over 120 rivers and most are unexplored and unavigatable as many are underground.

Depends on the definition of a river.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Brian E Member Since: Jul 21, 2015
25 of 25

Well if that's the case I think FInland may be in trouble with their island situation Smiley Wink

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS