cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When a Client doesn't pay

Mara H Member Since: Apr 30, 2015
1 of 10

Hello, I have worked for a client on trivia questions and this client said they pay every Saturday and the issue is I haven't received any payment s from this person. I've already did 3 works with him and one of the work was due last week Saturday due to the issue of my entire apartment building having a power outage, I wasn't able to complete the work on time. I did however contacted the client stating that I would give up the work later the Saturday night or Sunday and he said it was fine.

I handed it in on Sunday morning and I ask the client if they received the work and was the work satisfactory, they did not respond and even deleted me from their Skype contacts. I contacted the client via email stating if they are not satisfied with me then they only need to pay me for the previous works and I do not expect payment for the recent one since I did hand it in late. They never replied and have been ignoring me,

I want to file a complaint with oDesk about this matter. How do I go about this?

This person is being childish, at least they could have send an email stating that they do not want to work with me anymore. Please answer ASAP. I gave them until Saturday to pay me or I will report this client

Moyez K Member Since: Jun 24, 2013
2 of 10

Hi Mara!

I feel sorry for this unfortunate happening.

It seems a fixed price contract. So there should be 1st 'funded' milestone for this contract. You simply need to apply for that. If they do not respond for  14 days you will automatically get the payment after this period.

Screenshot is attached to let you know how to locate the payment request button.

Or simply go to 'My Jobs' tab and find respective contract under Fixed Priced Jobs 

For further details you may visit this page https://www.odesk.com/info/terms/escrow/FP

I hope this will help you

Thanks 

Iosif S Member Since: Mar 9, 2019
3 of 10

Maybe there should be a way to give ratings to clients who don't pay so that freelancers can know he's a bad payer. This would discourage clients to not pay. Can't believe there is no security system working for freelancers on this platform.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 10

Iosif S wrote:

Maybe there should be a way to give ratings to clients who don't pay so that freelancers can know he's a bad payer. This would discourage clients to not pay. Can't believe there is no security system working for freelancers on this platform.

Iosif, clients get reviewed and have star ratings, just like freelancers. But anyway, Mara was writing about oDesk almost 4 years ago, before there even was an Upwork.

5 of 10
If a client doesn't pay you, don't work for the client.
Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
6 of 10

Hi ,

dear Preston.

how may I know that this client never pay me.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 10

re: "how may I know that this client never pay me."

I'm not sure you always can know ahead of time. What I meant was that if a client doesn't pay you, you should not continue to work for them and you should not work for them again.

While you work for a client for that first time, you must think of them as being in a probationary period, to test whether they are a good client. And by "good client" I primarily mean a client who pays you properly, consistent with your agreement and contract, and doesn't make getting paid difficult.

Ruhollah E Member Since: May 22, 2017
8 of 10

I honestly thought its Upwork's duty to insure its freelancers are going to get paid on time.

Ruhollah E Member Since: May 22, 2017
9 of 10

We get charged a whopping 20% after all

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 10

@Rohullah E wrote:

I honestly thought its Upwork's duty to insure its freelancers are going to get paid on time.

This is very odd.

You appear to be responding to a problem posted three years ago, by someone whose own description indicates that Upwork's process and protections were entirely ignored.

What exactly is your concern?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS