🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: When a client asks for a written proposal...
Page options
dorothyjones
Community Member

When a client asks for a written proposal outside contract

When I submit a proposal to a client, I state what my hourly rate is.  So why am I being asked to submit a formal SOW or proposal as to what I will do and for what cost?  This takes a lot of time and frankly, I believe it is in violation of UpWork rules that clients don't ask for unpaid work?

Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Dorothy J wrote:

When I submit a proposal to a client, I state what my hourly rate is.  So why am I being asked to submit a formal SOW or proposal as to what I will do and for what cost?  This takes a lot of time and frankly, I believe it is in violation of UpWork rules that clients don't ask for unpaid work?

Thoughts?

I rarely get asked to do that, and I'd only provide a detailed proposal document if it's a large, complex project worth at least a few thousand dollars - in such cases, it's worth it for me to go to some extra effort, if I feel like I have a good chance of closing the deal. I don't think that it's a violation of Upwork's rules as long as the client isn't asking you to provide actual solutions before you're hired; there's nothing wrong with asking for details about your approach. It's up to you how much time you want to spend on it. I have several proposal documents that I can just customise as needed, so it usually takes less than an hour.

Thanks for insight.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths