🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When a client misunderstands "include a messa...
Page options
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

When a client misunderstands "include a message" when declining a proposal

A client recently declined my proposal along with a message saying I was a perfect fit but too expensive, and to please contact him if a lower rate would be possible. He posted for an hourly bid and was discouraged by my rate, but I'm fairly certain he's over-estimating the time required to do the work and, therefore, over-estimating my cost. Typically, I'd respond by offering to review the project materials (under and NDA if desired) and provide a tight estimate. In that situation, I often offer a choice of hourly or fixed-rate.

The problem is that I can't respond because he didn't send me a message. The message was attached to the "decline proposal" action with no option to reply. I can't contact him directly and I am blocked from submitting a second proposal. It seems clear to me he thought he was leaving the door open to further communication and doesn't realize there is a firewall.

It would be helpful if an UW moderator could see their way clear to contact the client on my behalf, simply to let him know that I say there is room to maneuver on the project cost and if he is still interested, he will have to message me directly because the system in place to protect him from harassment prevents me from contacting him.

Especially right now, when so much work has dried up, it's extremely frustrating to miss a great opportunity due to a client misunderstanding the UI. 

1 REPLY 1
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Phyllis,

Let me send you a private message to confirm if I'm looking at the same job you're talking about.

~ Valeria
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members