Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When clients do not leave any feedback

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mauro G Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
21 of 50

Hello Vladmir and thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

Please see my previous reply to James for reasons why your explanation is still unacceptable in my (and hopefully many other) opinions.

I also want to thank you for offering an alternative explanation about the "rolling feedback" theory but, without going into detail, I can assure that in my case this is impossible.

Either way, there is no reason why my score should drop from one day to the next when I have done nothing but accumulate further 5 star feedback ratings since the last performance review two weeks ago.

I've accepted pretty much everything that has come my way on Elance/Upwork/Odesk, but this is something that I must draw the line at.

I work extremely hard and go out of my way to provide the best possible standard of work for every single client that is good enough to offer me a contract. I always exceed expectations and make plenty of lifestyle sacrifices to ensure that this level of output is mantained consistently. To then find that my score goes down instead of up, and for reasons that are completely out of my control is extremely disheartening.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 50

Vladimir G wrote (emphasis added):

....One or two or three jobs without feedback won't affect your Job Success Score. We understand, and account, for the occasional job that ends without final ratings. We're weighing how many of these jobs appear in your work history. If you have a robust history of work, then one or two jobs without Feedback aren't going to affect you. If these jobs account for a bulk of your activity here or on Upwork then you may want to at least consider reminding your clients of the importance of leaving final ratings.

@Upwork:

More than two jobs?

More than three?

More than "a few"?

"A bulk of your activity"?

Higher than average?

A pattern?

The criteria for excessive jobs with no feedback cannot be all these things at once. Will you please pick a story and stick to it?

Also, while we are "considering" nagging our clients—the outcome of which is utterly out of our control—might Upwork "consider" giving clients a "close contract" button at the point of completion of the final milestone, instead of simply hustling them to add another milestone?

Thanks and best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
23 of 50

I have seen cases where freelancers have 100% JSS, but their work history shows an higher than average number of jobs that ended with no feedback. Examples:

• 7 jobs, 4 with no feedback
  • 7 jobs, 5 with no feedback
  • 5 jobs, 3 with no feedback

One thing that is common to these three examples is that all have at least one long job in progress: one with 1,720 hours, one other with 1,350 hours, and yet another with 4,110 hours.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
24 of 50

@Olga Q wrote:

I have seen cases where freelancers have 100% JSS, but their work history shows an higher than average number of jobs that ended with no feedback. Examples:

One thing that is common to these three examples is that all have at least one long job in progress: one with 1,720 hours, one other with 1,350 hours, and yet another with 4,110 hours.

"Higher than average" has to do with the number of No Feedback jobs by other freelancers in that field (at least that's how it was explained back in the day).

BUT - 4 out of 7 surely constitutes a pattern. And it's more than 2 or 3 or a few. It's even a bulk of a provider's activity!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 50

If you can find them again.....

@Olga Q wrote:

Check if those no-feedback contracts may have been with the same client and not "real" stand-alone jobs, but instances where a client simply raised the hourly rate.

A rate rise creates what I call a "hybrid" between a new contract and the old, in that it creates a new contract with a new contract number, but it is internally linked / connected to the old one, and there is no automatic feedback prompt. In fact, it takes a bit of clicking about to leave feedback on such a contract as the client usually does not even notice that raising the rate creates a new one. I strongly suspect (and have some circumstantial evidence) that "no feedback" from such "old part of ongoing contract" does not factor in negatively.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
26 of 50

@Vladimir G wrote:

.... If these jobs account for a bulk of your activity here or on Upwork then you may want to at least consider reminding your clients of the importance of leaving final ratings.

As if that would resolve the problem the OP is talking about: feedback and unresponsive, absent clients. Or those that don't care.

As long as not leaving feedback doesn't affect clients at all and/or you don't make leaving feedback mandatory, nothing is going to change. Unless you overhaul the JSS - yeah, joking.

"... you may want to at least consider..."

I am pretty certain most people on this platform consider this at all times already. Unfortunately, that's not a new concept. Most of us remind clients one way or another, even though it is awkward and embarrassing as h*ll. And comes across as pushy.

It doesn't always make for a good impression, which is why Upwork chooses to stay out of it.

The way I view (my) clients in general: we are equal partners; it's a level playing field as I need them, and they need me. Only in Upwork-land do I reach that moment, when I feel needy and dependent: feedback/JSS. 

Upwork's advanced technology requires us to receive feedback - so why doesn't Upwork remind (harass) clients?

Your platform, your system, your rules. How about: your solution to the problems your rules create?

Highlighted
Alan H Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
27 of 50

Hi Lena!

I may be mistaken, but excessive lack of feedback does penalize you and your JSS. Am I reading this wrong throughout all the threads, on the site and below:

1. public and private feedback
2. successful completion of work
3. client complaints
4. responsiveness levels
5. missed deadlines
6. disputes
7. long term client relationships

Thanks!

Alan

Highlighted
Emma C Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
28 of 50

I have been told time after time by Upwork that jobs with NO FEEDBACK have a NEGATIVE impact on JSS score which is entirely unfair, as no one has looked at the client (whether or not they leave feedback for anyone), the quality of work or even the messaging system which is a good clue as to whether or not they were happy.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
29 of 50

@Emma C wrote:

I have been told time after time by Upwork that jobs with NO FEEDBACK have a NEGATIVE impact on JSS score which is entirely unfair, as no one has looked at the client (whether or not they leave feedback for anyone), the quality of work or even the messaging system which is a good clue as to whether or not they were happy.

Emma, only if they represent a significant percentage of the whole body of your work. A small percentage has absolutely no effect whatsoever at all. And contracts with clients who have overwhelmingly bad outcomes and suspended clients are completely excluded.

Your history does not look like you have a sufficiently significant number of "No Feedback" contracts for it to have much, if any impact on your JSS.

Highlighted
Greg M Member Since: Jan 18, 2018
30 of 50

@Lena E wrote:

Hey Guys,

To clarify, a job with no feedback is neutral, it doesnt affect your score negatively nor positively. 

-Lena

That's not what I've been told on the phone. I've had another Upwork rep tell me that it counts negatively if they don't leave feedback. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS