Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When clients do not leave any feedback

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Gregory John G Member Since: Mar 27, 2018
31 of 50

It's also a mystery to me Greg because I have 100% feedback from everyone who left feedback.  I have five clients I'm now trying to get feedback from because my Job Score isn't 100%, it's mysteriously 83%, despite 100% feedback from everyone who did provide feedback.  Job score should not be a mystery.  It should be transparent to all in my view.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
32 of 50

Well John, 50-50 could mean not to count the job at all. Because we never know whats the client thought was for that particular job.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
33 of 50

Ela is on point as always, though it is mostly a waste of time to make suggestions.

Olga made the point I was going to, so I will add to it.

Care little about lack of feedback, and the quantity/percentage required to make your score decrease. It is better and more productive to do a bit of searching on new profiles. I am sure if anyone is keen and diligent enough; JSS calculation will not be so much of a mystery.

I have never had 100% but I have also never fell fallen below 92%. Law of averages. Mauro, with the frequency with which you complete jobs, it will be hard to attain and maintain 100% from now on. Its just a matter of numbers.

As Olga said, many (and I will say most) freelancers that have 100% have one very long term contract currently and one previously. And it makes sense. 1/1 (*+- any other factors) will = 100% once that job was successful. Plus Upwork already stated in their own description - that all long term contracts are considered positive (+) regardless of outcome.

A freelancer who has 20 jobs in 6 months, and fails at 1 will never have 100% within the next 6 months - simple. Believe me, as much as it is painful, pay less attention to these (simple) matters, because it doesn't affect the score as much as you think. In most cases it doesn't.

What matters is when the client clicks "successfully completed" or "not" - simple.

As I said, go do some independent research on new freelancers; < 10 jobs where it is easy to see the trend, and what may be affecting the score. Then you will see the non-impact of no feedback.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Mauro G Member Since: Nov 29, 2015
34 of 50

Thank you for taking my original post into consideration within your reply, Setu.

I'll take your comments into account within my own reply, although I'd like to make it clear that I speaking generally

I isn't important what someone's score is, whether its 100% or 75%, the point is that I don't see why anyone's percentage should drop further because a handful of clients decide, for whatever reason, not to leave feedback, mark a job as complete or whatever they are required to dfo at the end of a job.

Highlighted
Eric C Member Since: May 13, 2016
35 of 50

As a former freelancer on a platform, there were several satisfied clients that did not leave feedback:

- One client begged me several times to work for him full time. His private talks with me were almost always ecstatic. He loved working with me. The work I did for his company helped him obtain large amounts of funding, he invited me over for ping pong, events, and etc. several times, but I never took him up on his offers. Eventually, the relationship faded. I never asked him for public feedback. He never provided it, either.

- Another client that I still work with to this day and places me in their "top tier" work position also has never provided public feedback.

- Another client was so ecstatic with me that he called me literally hundreds of times over the course of our working relationship. He, too, never provided public feedback.

- Another client wanted me to work on a broader scope then the job originally allowed. I considered it, for too long, and when I sharply declined, he became extremely disappointed. He did not provide public feedback.

And there were also a few situations where the job description was (either intentionally or unintentionally) poorly communicated, resulting in issues for both parties.

I rarely asked for feedback.

Some clients don't want to leave feedback for obvious reasons: they want you all to themselves.

Penalizing freelancers for clients who don't provide feedback is utterly ridiculous, as the above examples demonstrated to me.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
36 of 50

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure that you're referring to Upwork as a platform on which you worked as a freelancer, since I see you haven't used your freelancer profile yet. To clarify, contracts on Upwork are set up so that a party which ends the contracts has to leave feedback. This is why we advise freelancers to communicate with and ask their clients to end the contract once the job has been successfully completed.

Highlighted
Zinka P Member Since: Jul 24, 2016
37 of 50

This is ridiculously flawed. I ended up here, because I had the same issue. I had quite a couple of clients recently that were new to Upwork, or still fresh.

I leave the contract open, reminding them and asking them kindly to close the contract with a feedback, but they never reply. Then the contract gets paused by Upwork, and too many paused jobs also decrease your score.

So, waiting for the unresponsive client to close the contract gets it paused, and affects your score, and then on top of that you end up having to close the contract yourself anyhow, again, with a possibility of affecting your score.

How is this fair?

And please don't mention the communication part again, because me, and I am sure many other freelancers, can actually provide all the chats that were going through Upwork, showing that the communication was great and ongoing all up until the end, when the client says "Thanks!" and never shows up again.

If a freelancer provides top quality work and the client is super happy with it, but disappears in the end, why do freelancers have to suffer from it?

Highlighted
Petar J Member Since: Jul 26, 2016
38 of 50

I agree. When clients ditch the contract, why do Freelancers have to get the thick end?

Highlighted
Gwendolyn T Member Since: Aug 2, 2015
39 of 50

I have been using upwork and formerly elance for a number of years now and have found, especially with north american clients, a number of reasons people dont leave feedback.. and as such strongly believe freelancers should not be penalized for a lack of feedback.

1. Staff changes. In todays economy with layoffs and tough times, staff frequently turnover. I had a great client for years. We had weekly milestones. She created a milestone like usual and then nothing.. I reached out - no response. I reached out again.. nothing. Weeks went by, and I finally reached  out to her boss who I had had an email from once and so was able to email him. (note  if I had done it through upwork I still wouldnt know.) Turns out she had left the company. So I never received any feedback. I did ask the boss but he was as unresponsive as her, and really wasnt in a position to give feedback anyway!

I currently have another client who again I have done thousands of dollars of work with. He is leaving his company today, and someone else will take over who is going make the decision if they want to continue or move the work in house. So they wont close the job yet.. what are you betting this job wont continue.. and I wont get feedback?

2. Scope changes - business needs change. I find over time clients change strategy and may not want to continue the work. The work may pause while they re-evaluate and the job stays open - but no new milestone is created. Then communication slows, and when you do ask to close the job .. you hear nothing back. 

3. Workload - in todays world clients are too busy as it is, they dont have time to do anything that doesnt help their business.. although this relates to #4 below

4.  Whats in it for me? Really this is the biggest reason I think they dont leave feedback - because it doesnt directly help them. They are finished with your job anyway and don't need you any more.  There is no incentive for them to do it - there is nothing in it for them. Its work they dont have time for and doesnt help their business. This is likely not even a conscious thing, they may think they will get to it later, and never do.

To summarize, in all these cases I had great communication with the client while the job was going on, but  (and maybe this only applies to long term jobs) as the job tailed off, communication ended on their side and led to them not giving me feedback despite my best efforts to ask them to do so. Remember too that communication is two-sided.

Perhaps for long term jobs, fquick eedback should be requested mid contract? Not just at the end when the client may be tuning out?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
40 of 50

Gwendolyn, I'm going to ask you the same question I have asked everyone who strongly felt that no feedback contracts shouldn't have an impact...perhaps you'll be the first person ever to answer.

Do you truly believe that a person who has done 100 jobs and has 98 5-star ratings should have the same JSS as a person who has done 100 jobs and has 4 5-star ratings and 96 contracts without feedback?

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS