🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: When did you start on Upwork?
Page options
83b1f5ac
Community Member

When did you start on Upwork?

I got started on Upwork nearly a couple of months ago and I'm now beginning to get my first results.

I'm curious to know: how has your experience been so far? 

Happy to be part of the community where we can connect and help each other! 🙂

86 REPLIES 86
a09d8867
Community Member

Looks like we are on the same page, Till now it is great experience to be part of such amazing family.

Glad to hear that Amir. Happy to be part of it too!!

aelizabeth427
Community Member

I started about 10 and a half years ago. Overall, it has been good! Some shady people here and there, but I love being able to work when I want and meeting clients from all over. 

Glad to read about your experience Ashley, thank you for sharing! Also for me the best part is to be able to manage my own schedule and have the freedom to do that from anywhere in the world 🙂

calado-marco
Community Member

I've started in 2015, when it was still Elance. Just like you it took me a couple of months to get my first clients and several others to get my regular ones.  I still have early clients that keep sending me work, at this moment i can even call some as friends (no joke), that's the level of trust we've gained.

I'm not getting rich, far from it, but in between UW and other platforms, i go by nicely.

Personaly and despite all the flaws UW has, for me it's my main and favorite one.

Hello Marco, I'm glad to connect and thanks for sharing your experience, this was inspiring to read 🙂

Hi again Francesco.

By reading all the other posts on your topic it came to mind to create another one:

"Were you an Odesk / Elance freelancer? If so what's the main difference to Upwork?"

I don't know how to merge the two topics, but maybe by doing so, it will give a better perspective for new freelancers here on UW, on how the experience as been for others for the past 7 years (at least).

Btw; i wasn't exaggerating when i said that i feel some clients are friends: Last easter i got a call from a client to see if was available to a whatsapp call (i thought it was for a new job), he just wanted to have a drink / make a toast (on-line) 'cause it was his birthday!

And one year ago on the summer i got a call but by zoom, They just wanted to show pictures of their new born baby...

What would  you call this people if not friends?

ahsanaliawan786
Community Member

I started in 2000 when Upwork was getting born then I registered on it in 2016 but I started properly in 2021!

Hello Ahsan! Thank you for sharing your experience! Would you rate positive your journey on Upwork so far?

lyann1322
Community Member

Created my account years back but I only utilized my Upwork in July this year when I got my very first client and got ghosted after a month. LOL!

Oh no ahah I'm happy to see that you got your profile back 🙂 Glad to connect!

42aa11ee
Community Member

I started a few months ago as well. So far, I absolutely love my experience here - the flexibility, working on varying projects and the platform has been so user friendly which helps! 

Hi Leah, thank you for sharing your experience! I totally agree with everything you said, and I'm glad to connect with you 🙂

m_zubair8888
Community Member

I started upwork 4 years ago and now i'm a top rated developer on upwork. 

Thank you for sharing your experience Muhammad, this is inspiring for me to read 🙂

s_j_schafer
Community Member

I've been on here for two years. So far so good. I found that working towards building up your profile and earning badges is a great place to start as it helps pull in long-term clients. 

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and for the advices Sara 🙂 I took notes !

What would you recommend as the best/fastest way to earning badges?

b6b151a7
Community Member

I am happy to see you getting closer to your goal, my progress is slow but promising with the help of the Upwork system and community.

Thanks for your kind words Ali 🙂 I'm glad to connect and I'm sure that we can all progress together by helping each other! I'm glad to connect with you mate!

peculiarcreator
Community Member

I started almost a year ago! It was right before the pandemic, I was testing to see if I could put my skills to some use and honestly it's been the best decision I ever made!

Thank you for sharing your experience Mary, I find your words inspiring!

jojufuca
Community Member

I started about 9 years ago, when it still was oDesk. There were some random projects here and there, but I have been on a steady project since 2017 and it has been great so far. Earning dollars while living in Mexico is very convenient. 🙂

dff1b367
Community Member

I joined Upwork since January this year, although I started being active around August, September. I haven't gotten any job yet, but I have had a client that accepted my proposal, but unfortunately we couldn't schedule that interview. Still submitting proposals and hoping to land a Job soon. If anything else, I would need assistance with reviewing my profile to know if there is anything I am doing wrongly.

czech-dominika
Community Member

I've started on February 2021, I believe that was perfect time to start working on Upwork.

truedestinymedia
Community Member

I started on Upwork about 11 or 12 years ago when it was Elance. Had a few jobs here and there over the years but really got into it a few years ago and now it's just about my only source of income. I'm Top Rate Plus and sometimes have more work I can handle.  I've had a lot of top brand clients. 

It's  really about sifting and when you have that "Spider Sense" that a client doesn't feel right, go with your gut and move on.  Generally I find most of the clients are pretty good.

Upwork is definitely a great resource. At the beginning you've got to work it to get things rolling but now I get a lot of invites and only occasionally I look for projects. 

836e4c09
Community Member

Hi, Francesco!

I have spent one year nearly on Upwork so far, and its been a great expreience but I must say consistency with paitence is important in every part of your life, this rule equally applicable here.

Good Luck!!

2b49007f
Community Member

Hello! I'm in the same boat as you and started a couple of months ago. I watched a lot of UpWork's videos on YouTube to help me build my profile and learn more about how to submit proposals and work with clients, and I've been getting increasingly more engagement and projects, It's been fun so far!

mostafanasssar
Community Member

Hi, Francesco,

I started in Aug 2021. I think it has been a great experience so far. I guess your skills need to be sharper first so you can get praise through work samples then be more updated with the latest technologies to get the chance to get hired. Keep learning and that's it 🤞.

Cheers
Mostafa

jbabrenica
Community Member

I started my Upwork journey 2014. As of now, I am very happy with my life and the flexibility. Hope for more happy years with Upwork.

rkm95
Community Member

Hey Francesco, 

I'm just getting started, couple month ago. 

Still struggling to get my first job but i'm being persistant. Wish you good luck and hope i'll get to see the results too someday soon.

kristyd
Community Member

I have been using this for about 7 years now!  Time flies!  Love having the extra income and options

rkm95
Community Member

Hey Kristy, thanks for your contribution.

Seeing that you're working on upwork for 7 years just gave me hope. 

Good luck for wha'ts coming

thanin
Community Member

I had worked with Odesk then Ellance, when these merged to be Upwork, then I joined upwork on the First Date it launched. 

rkm95
Community Member

One of Upwork pioneers, awsome 

alisarwar01
Community Member

I started in October 2020. Got my first Job in like 3 days after my profile got approved. And I'm still connected to that client. So far the journey has been amazing. 

c0c9886b
Community Member

I started about 2 years ago as a side revenue opportunity and less than 5 months after, I was able to start my own company - all thanks to Upwork. I'd say between the profile creation to the first job, it took me 2 weeks. After the first job completion, another 2 weeks. And then it was actually getting the results I expected (and more).

deeaf5f0
Community Member

Really, the feeling of receiving the first message from a customer is very happy. At first, I just thought of creating an account to try it out because I still have time to experiment. Unexpectedly, after about a week, I received a job offer. I'm still working with this client now, and I'm happy when they say they're satisfied. I look forward to the next customer journey and wish everyone the best of luck.

ryangatchel
Community Member

Hey all, I am very new! I have had my account for a while but because of a layoff I jumped back on here and actually got active. It's only been a few weeks. 😅

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths