cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When dipute is not properly looked at.

Joxy N Member Since: Apr 14, 2015
1 of 9

Hi,

I recently had a dispute with one of my clients. He thought he would be billed for the blank work veiws in the work diary ( attached ). He already initiated a dipute and I challenged it with all confidence but to my suprise It was ruled in favor of the client. Can I challenge the Odesk judgement over the dispute ? And if I can't I would like to suggest this be a feature in odesk. It might help someone else when things are done sloppy.

Thanks,

Joe

Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
2 of 9

Wow that's crazy. How can oDesk rule in his favor if there's nothing to dispute? Have you told him that he will only be billed for the section with screenshots? Or is he not understanding that?

Joxy N Member Since: Apr 14, 2015
3 of 9

Yes. I did clear it out with him eventualy. Then he was worried about the low activity levels on a few screen shots, which I was willing to accept and refund assuming these would only be a few in any case. But what surprised me was that Odesk ruled in his favour of his initial claim of blank hours.

Anyways that's all behind us now. I see that I need to be very consistant in entering the memos as this was the deciding factor.

I would also like to back Jean on making it compuslory considering it's importance  in disputes.

Thank you all for your inputs.

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
4 of 9

Someone needs to help this person. This is a SERIOUS issue that should be resolved immediately in the freelancer's favor. I too will watch to see how this is handled as will others who work on hourly contracts.

This is totally unacceptable.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
5 of 9

Hi Joxy, 

I will check with our Dispute Team regarding your case. It might be that the client misunderstood the information in the Work Diary.

I would like to note though that oDesk Team reviews your Work Diary to evaluate the disputed hours against the criteria of the oDesk Guarantee. Hours you logged didn't not qualify for the oDesk Guarantee that's why they were refunded. Please, make sure you enter adequate memos and maintain sufficient activity levels so that your payment is covered by the Guarantee.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
6 of 9

If something must be entered into the Memo area of the popup box when you start work for your client in order to have this protection, then why not just make it absolutely necessary to enter something before you continue? Then everyone would qualify for the guarantee and let's face it, who would not want their payment to be guaranteed? 

Would would be the reason someone would not enter something?

It would seem to be the logical thing to do. 

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 9

Valeria wrote, "make sure you enter adequate memos and maintain sufficient activity levels so that your payment is covered by the Guarantee". What exactly is "sufficient" activity level?

8 of 9

@John K wrote:

Valeria wrote, "make sure you enter adequate memos and maintain sufficient activity levels so that your payment is covered by the Guarantee". What exactly is "sufficient" activity level?

John,

If you go inactive the oDesk tracker doesn't track if there are no keystrokes or mouse movement after a certain amount of time. It is not an ideal setting for someone who is not using it to type a lot or has something to do with the screen. I am inactive sometimes when waiting for calls with one of my clients and I have to make sure that I am active doing something to keep the tracker working otherwise it stops tracking and is not logged in the dairy.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 9

Suzanne, thanks for explanation. I guess tracker is oDesk equivalent of a dead man's switch. Robot Mad