🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When do YOU refund for a job?
Page options
jaime2039
Community Member

When do YOU refund for a job?

I’m usually very generous in refunding a client’s payment if they aren’t happy with the job or realize early on they don’t want to move forward. Granted, this has probably happened three or so times in my years on the platform — but in those rare occasions, I’ve always promptly refunded any money paid. It never seems right to keep a payment if the client isn’t satisfied.

That said, I recently took on a new client and spent about 2-3 hours on the project (billing about $250). The client provided me with initial copy and some websites he liked, and asked me to refine/clean up the copy, fit it to the template he chose, etc.

I did an initial draft within 24 hours and, within a day or two, heard back — he said he felt I hadn’t made the copy any better. I asked to hop on the phone or to get more information so I could revise and he said he’d give it some thought. I followed up two more times and, today, heard back. He ended the contract and said I’d lent no value to the project. I offered to make another round or two or revisions for free, but he declined because he, “wouldn’t know where to start with giving feedback.”

Again, normally I’m quick to refund money but, in this case, I feel like this is a bit unfair — an initial draft is rarely 100% done and he refuses to give feedback. I also do feel the work was in line with the request.

What would you do? I obviously hate to get a bad review (though I know I can, potentially, have a bad review removed as a Top Rated freelancer) and hate the idea a customer isn’t satisfied. But I also feel like diamonds in/diamonds out. Without feedback I can’t do my job — and the client isn’t interested in even attempting to get the copy where he wants it to be.

What would you do? Would you refund in full? Some? None?
13 REPLIES 13
petra_r
Community Member

Jaime H wrote:
I also feel like diamonds in/diamonds out. Without feedback I can’t do my job — and the client isn’t interested in even attempting to get the copy where he wants it to be.

What would you do? Would you refund in full? Some? None?

If the client has been that  uncooperative I don't think I would refund at all.

Did the client actually request a refund?

I agree with Petra. 

You are clearly fantastic at what you do, and unless the project was way out of your comfort zone, I doubt if you could do a bad job. Don't refund even if the client asks for it. 

Thanks! He didn't ask for a refund, but kept sending me notes like, "I guess that's the way it goes." I feel bad but, again, feel I deserve an opportunity to work through another round of edits -- especially considering I offered to do it without a fee. 

Jaime H wrote:

Thanks! He didn't ask for a refund, but kept sending me notes like, "I guess that's the way it goes."

Urgh, the passive aggressive type. HATE that! (They also go spectacularly badly with my own personality type...)

Story time: I have refunded once in all my time on the platform. Client had an urgent job for the next day and we agreed that I would be online at some (for me) ungodly hour, (5 am?) so I set the alarm, walked dog in pitch black, made a pot of coffee, sat down and waited. and waited. and waited.

Client never turned up and ignored messages, so a few days later I logged 10 minutes writing to him telling him very politely what I thought of it.

He went ballistic over being charged 10 minutes for having wasted my whole morning and I happily refunded the 10 minutes, they were only logged to make a point.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

I haven't encountered a refund situation on UW (yet). I have discounted final invoices in cases where the work got done significantly faster and/or cheaper than anticipated. And this winter I ate some costs associated with enlisting extra help after I let a client stampede me into over-committing on something.

In your shoes, I would not refund a dime. That client is being passive-aggressive and completely unreasonable. 

Have you checked to see if they are using your copy? I'll bet they are, while claiming it's not up to par.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Jaime H wrote:
I offered to make another round or two or revisions for free, but he declined because he, “wouldn’t know where to start with giving feedback.”

FFS! No, I wouldn't refund a dime - if your client refuses to communicate with you and clarify what he's after, then that's on him. You did the work, take the money. If he gives you a bad review, get it removed, and be sure to leave him a bad review as well.

kat303
Community Member

I would not give a refund. it's very easy for client to say, this is not what I want just so the freelancer will feel like they didn't do a good job and refund any money paid. 

I don't know whether this was a fixed rate job or an hourly job. For hourly jobs, as I'm sure you know, you're paid for the hours you worked. On fixed rate jobs you're paid for the work you produced. Either way, you fulfilled the requirements up to the point where the client closed the contract. 

I only say, if you took this job but knew it was above your skills and experience, If you produced shoddy work, work full of errors, or half done work,  then yes, give a refund, but looking at your profile and feedback that is NOT the case.

IMO you should be paid for the time, effort and the work you've done so far. Sometimes it's hard to come up with a concept of what the client is THINKING. But I believe you went above and beyond in trying to communicate with him so you can narrow down his vision. 

So, again. No do not give ANY refund at all. 

lysis10
Community Member

I've refunded once on Upwork because the client complained that I never told her I would charge on revisions. meh. On elance I did it twice because the money wasn't worth the hassle. I don't refund these days unless I am 100% in the wrong. I don't refund on "don't like it." I will refund if I'm just totally so off that I got instructions wrong. When it happens, I'm all OMG SO SORRY and get them a rewrite within 24 hours. Never had someone ask for a refund actually when I mess up. 

I'm not as seasoned here as the rest of replies, but it doesn't look like you do anything but great work.  If the client can't see the value in it and isn't willing to work with you, then that is on the client.  I've never refunded anything here, yet.  I'm sure the day will come when I haven't been able to do my best on a project or when I've comepletely done something wrong, but that hasn't happened.  Yet.  I have been fortunate to have good clients who work with me.

I have reduced the payment when the project took less time (did this recently because it was a quick poject and took an hour less to do it than I estimated).  I've re-run a survey for only the cost of participants when my long-term client messed something up in the survey.  But I haven't had to refund yet. 

For the most part, I know that I am not perfect and neither are my clients.  I try to work with them along the way.  However, if they don't work with me I can't give them anything else.  A client who refuses to give feedback on a writing project is not upholding their end of the bargain.  In the case you have described, after asking the client one more time for feedback or offering to do minor revisions on what you have written, I'd probably just let the contract sit and then quietly close it in a few weeks (or even months) without any further communication. 

hodgesh
Community Member

The only refund I've ever given was for work that I did not do. If I can't finish the job or I notice that my work is bad, I simply don't request the milestone or stop tracking hours and let the client know.

donald-miller_jr
Community Member

I'd like a fair chance to design what he wants and not rush it I was reading the job i get confused on what he wants i havent spoke to the actual client if I could video chat or have a way to send him some good progress I just got a great friend to help me actually I need a team also to deliver at the right quality delivery but what he wants I can do the colors of packastan I'm confused on the idea and concept I specialize in customer support from being a tattoo artist forv21 years I have to connect with the client and feel talk and visual and use his interest and my knowledge of design to collaborate the best material 8

If a client is unable to vocalize what is wrong with the work submitted, I don't think they are entitled to a refund. 

jerrymulcahy
Community Member

Hi Everyone, I have read a bunch of your responses and feel the same way. I am currently in a dispute because the client is asking a refund after the first round of creative which I turned around within 24 hours. It has turned a bit ugly very quickly. Something I did not want it to come to. You guys are only hearing my side, but in all candor I did wanted and tried in good faith to make the situation right. The client was unhappy and only wants to pay me for 30 minutes of my time. I was called a fraud and told I could not follow directions. Again, you guys don't know me but I have been designing for 25 years. The situation is weighing on my mind to give in and be done with this client or to stand my ground on professional ethics that I did a good job and had every intention of completing the job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths