🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When do they stop taking their 20% ?
Page options
alexis-arinze
Community Member

When do they stop taking their 20% ?

I assumed that once you made $500, Upwork will switch from taking 20% to 10%. Does this mean $500 in total or on one single contract? I heard from a Youtube video that for them to lower how much they take, you have to earn that much on one single job. Can someone clarify this for me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You need to earn $500 from one client, but it doesn't have to be on a single contract (e.g. if you earn $500 on one project, then the same client hires you again, the service charge will be 10%). After you've earned $10,000 with the same client, the fee goes down further, to 5%.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

You need to earn $500 from one client, but it doesn't have to be on a single contract (e.g. if you earn $500 on one project, then the same client hires you again, the service charge will be 10%). After you've earned $10,000 with the same client, the fee goes down further, to 5%.

Hi,

From the previous query I learned that after completing a $500 contract, the next contract from the same client will deducted 10% NOT 20% and after $10,000 it will be 5%. 

I completed my two contracts with the same client last Jan 2020 totalling $10,200 and the deduction is still 20%. Can you please check what is the reason why it was change, the 20% deduction is hurting me too much specially this time.

Regards,

Domingo

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Domingo,

Congratulations on your earnings with your client! You can check the last invoice you have with your client to find that you were charged 5% sliding fee for earnings above 10000$. You can locate this invoice under your Transaction history.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
domingo82
Community Member

Thank you. The deduction of 5% was shown on my last bill to my client,
unfortunately, that was the last billing since the project was already
completed.

My question now is this..Do I have to start again with 20% for new clients?
Does it mean the 5% is no longer applicable for new & short term clients?
Regards

Domingo T wrote:

My question now is this..Do I have to start again with 20% for new clients?

Yes. It is "per client"

Future work with that same client: 5%

Future work with other clients: First $ 500 - 20%, $ 500 to $ 10,000 - 10% and over $ 10,000 - 5%

Ok..thanks a lot.

What if the contract continuous and it's an ongoing client?

Hi Taeyeon,

Even for ongoing clients, it is still the same, i.e., 10% after $500 and 20% before that.

colettelewis
Community Member

Adding to what Christine says, it is all written down here: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211062538-Freelancer-Service-Fees

a_lipsey
Community Member

Alexis A wrote:

I assumed that once you made $500, Upwork will switch from taking 20% to 10%. Does this mean $500 in total or on one single contract? I heard from a Youtube video that for them to lower how much they take, you have to earn that much on one single job. Can someone clarify this for me?

It's per client. So once I hit $500 with Client A, across any contracts with Client A, my earnings from Client A will only be charged 10%. However, my earnings from Client B will still  be charged 20% until I reach $500 with Client B as well. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths