cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do you apply to jobs?

Community Guru
Daniel C Member Since: Nov 21, 2010
1 of 5

I usually post jobs in the evenings PST.  I usually apply to jobs in the evenings and at night.  Sometimes I apply during the week, and sometimes on the weekends.

I'm wondering when the best time to post a job is?  Do you apply for jobs in the mornings?  Do you try to hit a certian timezone?

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 5

@Daniel C wrote:

I usually post jobs in the evenings PST.  I usually apply to jobs in the evenings and at night.  Sometimes I apply during the week, and sometimes on the weekends.

I'm wondering when the best time to post a job is?  Do you apply for jobs in the mornings?  Do you try to hit a certian timezone?

Daniel, I would seriouslly suggest that you post jobs depending on what timezone your prospective freealancers may be starting their day.

Having said this, I usually only work for US clients, and I have noticed an obvious trend:

Edit: in MST timezone, 1 hour ahead of west coast, and 2 hours behind east coast.

1. I tend to check new jobs before my offical workday begins. I mostly see AU and EU jobs from the last 8-9 hours at this tme.

2.  I then check again a couple of hours later. This is when I start seeing new US jobs, and those will keep showing up until about 8 pm EST. Sometimes a US client is on later and posts a job, but not super often.

3. I will sometimes check again in the evenings, but usually it's not worth my trouble.

4. Weekends are a mix. Less US jobs posted, more AU and EU jobs in general are posted. Times are a bit all over the place though.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 5

Interesting question. Most of my customers are California, so posting in the morning is early for them.

I have a goal of posting 2 bids while I drink coffee and wake up. I find myself looking throughout the day though.  I think I like the chase more than the kill. lol

I don't know how it is with Upwork, but with Elance the most recent bid was shown first. Sometimes, I would wait a while and bid later because I knew I'd show up first.  I wouldn't wait too long. I'd wait a few hours. My guess was that people would post, the first bid would be seen because Elance sent an alert after the first post. After that, Elance would send an alert in the morning, so I would bid when I woke up because I would hope I'd be the most recent as they came in the office in the morning.

I don't think that works for Upwork?

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
4 of 5

Daniel,

I don't have time in the mornings, so I apply in the evenings PST and sometimes late afternoon and weekends. My mornings are to busy with chores here and getting ready for my day.

I notice a lot of PST jobs get posted in the evening. I get a lot of invites from PST in the evenings as well.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
5 of 5

@Daniel:

When I see them and they're proposal-worthy. I've usually checked by mid-morning (ET).

@Jen:

Under the new proposal display being piloted, you get a screen of Elance's top picks, with everyone else (ranked?) below the fold. That's live for some clients, and scheduled to become the norm. (I don't know anything about the current default sort order, or whether clients can do their own sorts.)

Best to all,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS