🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When do you prompt a "payment method not veri...
Page options
alexpattison
Community Member

When do you prompt a "payment method not verified" client to verify their payment method?

Hi all,

I set up my search to exclude "payment method not verified" clients. But this way I'm losing the opportunity to work with some great clients and leaving money on the table. 

At what stage do you ask the client to verify their payment method? As soon as your proposal is accepted? After a few messages? Once you have accepted an offer?

Interested to hear how more experienced Upwork freelancers approach this and what has worked for you.

Thank you,
Alex 

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Alex P wrote:

At what stage do you ask the client to verify their payment method? 

I don't. Upwork does it for me. I only prompt them if they haven't verified it a day or two after sending the offer.

Hi Petra, thanks for the reply.

Oh I see, so Upwork notifies the client that their payment method is not verified when they send an offer? Do you usually accept the offer and then wait for the client to verify their payment method or do leave the offer and accept once verified? 

Thank you.

Alex P wrote:

Oh I see, so Upwork notifies the client that their payment method is not verified when they send an offer? 

Yes, of course they do! They need the client to verify their payment method, as otherwise you and Upwork can't get paid....

Alex P wrote:

Do you usually accept the offer and then wait for the client to verify their payment method or do leave the offer and accept once verified? 

I generally accept the offer right away. Most of the time the payment method is verified within minutes or hours at worst.

I also accept right away but tell the client I am unable to begin work until their payment is verified.  As Petra says, it's usually very quick.

Mary and Petra, I hadn't realised verification was so quick.

I had guessed most freelancers would wait until verification before accepting the contract, but I suppose if you've vetted the client well, then you can go ahead and accept.

Thank you both for the insight.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members