🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When does five-day-hold period being/end?
Page options
susanwinlowmedia
Community Member

When does five-day-hold period being/end?

I did a search and didn't see this exact topic addressed. I have a fixed-rate job. I'm on Milestone 3. Both the previous milestones have been approved. I know there is a five-day-hold, but when is the hold up exactly. Example: Milestone 1 was approved last Friday about noon. Does this mean the funds are available Wednesday at noon, or does it default to the following day like a bank since the day is already in progress? Same thing for my Milestone 2. It was approved about 2 pm today. Does that mean it's available 2 pm on Saturday, or the following day? 

Anyone who could shed some accurate light, I'd be immensely grateful. Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
michael_skaggs
Community Member

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

Security Period

The security period applies to all payments and refunds on all contracts. It gives Upwork time to process and clear the payments, and resolve any disputes before funds are released to freelancers.

All manual payments, including milestones and bonuses, become available 5 days after the payment is successfully processed. A little cheat sheet:

• Processed Monday — Available Saturday
  • Processed Tuesday — Available Sunday
  • Processed Wednesday — Available Monday
  • Processed Thursday — Available Tuesday
  • Processed Friday — Available Wednesday
  • Processed Saturday — Available Thursday
  • Processed Sunday — Available Friday

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
michael_skaggs
Community Member

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

Security Period

The security period applies to all payments and refunds on all contracts. It gives Upwork time to process and clear the payments, and resolve any disputes before funds are released to freelancers.

All manual payments, including milestones and bonuses, become available 5 days after the payment is successfully processed. A little cheat sheet:

• Processed Monday — Available Saturday
  • Processed Tuesday — Available Sunday
  • Processed Wednesday — Available Monday
  • Processed Thursday — Available Tuesday
  • Processed Friday — Available Wednesday
  • Processed Saturday — Available Thursday
  • Processed Sunday — Available Friday

lamest thing ever!! like I busted my **Edited for Community Guidelines** to get the work done and veified with client before it was approved, it should be available immediately. You dont go the the store and buy a soda for in 5 days.

Hi Joshua,

As mentioned in an earlier post as well as here, the security period gives Upwork time to process and clear the payments, and resolve any disputes before funds are released to freelancers. Nonetheless, your feedback is appreciated and I'll make sure to share this with the team.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
em4555
Community Member

Not sure if you're still here as this is a little old but I'm trying to find out at what time of the day exactly does the security hold end and funds become available. For example I read the review period ends at 23:59 UTC, is it the same for the security hold? or at what time of the day can I expect this? Thanks! 

Hi Elso,

Thank you for your message. We follow the UTC timezone for all payment transactions. After the 5-day security hold is over at 23:59 UTC, we begin to process payments. While we do not have an exact time, but they should be available after the end of the security hold.

- Pradeep

Upwork
27040a0f
Community Member

There's a reason why he has 7 upvotes and you have 0 no one agrees with this because it's pointless and just stupid. If the person willingly accepted the payment what other questions do we need to ask? just pay the workers cut it out with the goofy stuff.

Wondering how come the rules don't apply to US residents. If the Freelancer has been on Upwork for over a 10 year period and the Client has a very good financial record then why can't Upwork release payment earlier than the 5 day period 

Because people outside the US can't complain as easily in a meaningful way, and because then they can earn extra interest on your money before sending it to you, earnin Upwork more money

tlsanders
Community Member

If you go to your Reports>Overview tab and click on the number under Pending and scroll down, you'll see the dates each amount will become available.

The dates are UTC, so if you're in the US it will actually be the preceding evening.

Thank you to both of you. Both perfectly answer my question!!

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths