cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When is it "too late" to submit a proposal?

Ace Contributor
Shawn W Member Since: Feb 23, 2016
1 of 16

How quickly do clients stop looking at new proposals? I don't want to waste my Connects on a job that's basically gone.

Specifically, when I'm choosing what jobs to submit a proposal to, is it "too late" if:

• The job was submitted 4 hours ago, but it already has 20-50 proposals?
  • The job was submitted yesterday, or a few days ago, and has 20-50 proposals?
  • The client has already interviewed 2 or more people?
  • The Client Activity says "Last Viewed" several days ago?

(I really hope some clients read and answer this, as well as freelancers.)

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
2 of 16

I would say that no two clients operate in the same fashion, each client has their own way of doing things. Some hire quickly, some take a lot longer. 

If you see a lot of freelancers applying for the role,  you need to ask yourself if it's worth applying. Only you can answer that question really. 

When I apply for a role, if the client is taking a little too long to hire, I'd probably withdraw my application. 

Ace Contributor
3 of 16

If you withdraw an application, do you get your Connects back?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 16

@Shawn W wrote:

If you withdraw an application, do you get your Connects back?

No.

To answer your question though, I don't care how long the job has been up. If the client is active, the description is perfect for me, I feel like I'm a good fit, and the client is actively looking at proposals, I bid. I guess there is somewhat of a limit... if it's a month old. But, chances are the client isn't active if it's been up for a month. But I've had people come back months after they spoke with me, so it just depends.

I only look at Hires and client activity. I also look at previous jobs if he has them.

I don't look at proposal numbers, interviews, payment verification or the other bidders. (well, now I can't anyway) 

I base probably 95% of my decision on the job post.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 16

@Gillian Michele N wrote:

When I apply for a role, if the client is taking a little too long to hire, I'd probably withdraw my application. 

What do you gain by withdrawing your application?

Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
6 of 16

Hi Tiffany,

If I feel that the job is no longer worth my time or if I maybe find a better offer, I'll withdraw my application. 

Some clients leave jobs open for far too long without hiring, so it's then up to the Freelancer whether or not to continue. 

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
7 of 16

For me, if the job seems interesting, it is never too late to submit a proposal - I don't care how many applicants, how many invites or about payment not-verified.

Ace Contributor
8 of 16

@Olga Q wrote:

For me, if the job seems interesting, it is never too late to submit a proposal - I don't care how many applicants, how many invites or about payment not-verified.

Don't you ever run out of Connects? Personally, I have only a few left for the next two weeks.

Community Guru
Olga Q Member Since: Sep 5, 2012
9 of 16

@Shawn W wrote:

@Olga Q wrote:

Don't you ever run out of Connects? Personally, I have only a few left for the next two weeks.

No, never; I always have plenty of connects. Didn't use any from Jan to March. I have 42 this month. There are not many jobs I can apply to; most importantly, I get most of my work from invites.

Ace Contributor
10 of 16

@Gillian Michele N wrote:

Hi Tiffany,

If I feel that the job is no longer worth my time or if I maybe find a better offer, I'll withdraw my application. 

Some clients leave jobs open for far too long without hiring, so it's then up to the Freelancer whether or not to continue. 

I think what Tiffany meant is, why bother withdrawing?  Is there a reason you shouldn't just let it sit there indefinitely? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS