🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When should I give a refund?
Page options
696e5822
Community Member

When should I give a refund?

Hello UpWork! I am thinking of giving a refund to a client in order not to have the job show up on my profile along with his less than perfect review, but I don't know at which point: before or after the contract is closed?

What happened was that I applied for this job (Facebook ads video editing) which was located in my country to be able to work with someone on the same timezone. The client had mostly good reviews, the job was pretty clear so there was no reason why I couldn't apply. He got in touch with me and offered me the possibility to do a 10 second video test to check if I can do this kind of work and asked me for a rate - I gave him a 10 for $100 rate if he chose to do more than one video with me. 2 things stood out at this point: he was not located in Belgium, but in Vietnam and for that price, I'm pretty sure he had already made his mind up before I completed the test. Once I sent him the 10 second clip, he immediately hired me, paid the $10 for 1 video and asked me to add a little more to it to make it longer so he can already use it. He has decided to split the $100 budget into 10 milestones, that he would create one by one. I extended the clip and sent it over. He told me there are certain visual effects that he needs in these videos and will have his in-house designer add them to my video. I offered to do that myself, if his designer could tell me which effects they were, but he didn't reply to my suggestion. So instead I offered to continue doing the work like this: I put together the clip and his colleague can add the final touches which I don't have in my software. He agreed. I made the 2nd video, sent it, waited for feedback. No milestone created, no money funded for the second one. I don't know what happened in the meantime, but this morning I woke up with a message from him saying that he wants to pay me $30 for all the videos I already made because the designer thinks it would be easier for him to just edit the whole thing himself, rather than adding effects to my edits. Sounds like I'll be kicked off the project in my opinion. Fair enough, especially since I never had contact with the designer, all I had as a template was your classic cosmetics Facebook ad, so I recreated that to the best of my abilities, which were not good enough for this client. 

Now, he has been very polite and understanding throughout our interaction, but I went back to see his history of leaving review to freelancers and there are some that reflect a similar experience: "The freelancer was very nice to work with but didn't have the skills necessary for the job - 4*". I have only been on UpWork for a month, I don't know how much my rating affects my chances of getting jobs, but I don't really want to know. Since it's only $10 that I'd be refunding him, I think in the long run it won't affect my JSS, but for now I just want that when this contract is ended, that my future clients won't know about it. When should I give the refund, therefore, before or after the contract is ended? Thank you. 

6 REPLIES 6
petra_r
Community Member

Bianca B wrote:

Since it's only $10 that I'd be refunding him, I think in the long run it won't affect my JSS, but for now I just want that when this contract is ended, that my future clients won't know about it. When should I give the refund, therefore, before or after the contract is ended? Thank you. 

In my opinion, there is no reason for a refund yet or at all. A fully refunded contract will have a certain negative effect (cost you your Rising Talent status and cause a severe hit on your JSS when you get one.)

You're right, in the long term, months down the line, it'll be irrelevant, but you're not there yet.

If you wait and see what feedback the client leaves, you won't have a CERTAIN negative effect, you will have a "maybe" negative effect.

re: "The freelancer was very nice to work with but didn't have the skills necessary for the job"

Speaking of myself:

I don't have the skills necessary to do MOST jobs on Upwork.

If a client hires me to do a job and it turns out I don't have the skills for the job, then it means the job is not a good fit for the freelancer. It does not mean the freelancer is bad.

This is a normal aspect of hiring. The feedback you posted indicates that the feeelancer acted professionally and the client thought well of her. Maybe the client made a mistake in picking that person for this specific task.

I got a hourly contract in my profile. 10 hours for total $70 decided for the job. I done 90% project on three hours. When i show the client and ask if anything needs to be change then tell me. Client see the file and said that i am not happy with your work. I asked client to tell me what do you need and what is the mistale. He said i will not tell you thay what needed. And ended the contract. Now after one week he requested a refund. What should i do?

Abdul M wrote:
 Now after one week he requested a refund. What should i do?

If the client requested a refund today and it's the contract that ended on the 9th of January, the client is outside the time where they could dispute the 3 hours. 

The client has a very good history with lots of successfully completed contracts and no red flags that I can see to be honest, so it doesn't look like this is a problem client by nature. If you correctly tracked the hours you worked there is really no need to refund, you worked 3 hours doing what you were hired to do, so should get paid. The contract is closed so that would be the end of it. The client isn't going to go mad over $23.33

Ok, so if I decide not to give a refund to the client. will it be harmful to my profile in the future?

Abdul M wrote:
Ok, so if I decide not to give a refund to the client. will it be harmful to my profile in the future?

No.

The client, despite giving 5 star public feedback, may well have left poor private feedback and that will eventually affect your JSS when you get one, but that ship has sailed, so whether you refund or not makes no difference either way.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members