cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I to stop my time tracker?

Anton S Member Since: Dec 9, 2016
1 of 18

When I work with time tracker from time to time I stop it to find solutions in google or read some docs when I forgot something. It can e various, sometimes I stop it every 3-5 minutes, sometimes I work 30-40 minutes. Finally my client see only pure coding screenshots. And my question: may I don't stop my tracker in this case or not?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 18

@Anton S wrote:

When I work with time tracker from time to time I stop it to find solutions in google or read some docs when I forgot something. It can e various, sometimes I stop it every 3-5 minutes, sometimes I work 30-40 minutes. Finally my client see only pure coding screenshots. And my question: may I don't stop my tracker in this case or not?

Don't do that! It will make a complete mess out of your work diary, and if there is ever any dispute you will lose it.

The tracker does not count minutes worked, it counts 10 minute segments which had activity. If you stop start it every 3 - 5 minutes your activity levels will be a complete mess, with lots and lots of very low activity segments which are disputable.

The tracker is really designed for periods of continuous work.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 18

Anton, Petra is correct about how the time tracker works, but you raise an interesting question about Googling. I'm a developer and I do not want to independently solve a problem that has a known solution, so I think it's appropriate to Google for known solutions, and I try do this while the time tracker is stopped, because I would rather not explain to a client why the work diary contains a Google screenshot.

4 of 18

Petra R wrote:

Don't do that! It will make a complete mess out of your work diary, and if there is ever any dispute you will lose it.

The tracker does not count minutes worked, it counts 10 minute segments which had activity. If you stop start it every 3 - 5 minutes your activity levels will be a complete mess, with lots and lots of very low activity segments which are disputable.

The tracker is really designed for periods of continuous work.

Stopping and starting is not that bad. If you stop for 3 minutes out of an otherwise full 10-minute segment, then either:

1. You get a snapshot at some time in the 7 minutes you were working (70% chance), you get paid for the segment, and the work diary shows that you only worked 7 minutes out of 10, which is true. OR

2. You don't get a snapshot (30% chance), you don't get paid for the segment, and the 3 minutes you worked are not shown in the work diary at all.

This system would produce appropriate results on average, if it wasn't for two problems:

1. Due to an error in the tracker's algorithm, you always (100% of the time) get a snapshot in every start-of-session segment (a segment in which you start tracking and continue to the end of the segment). This means that on average the tracker overcharges the client, unless you compensate for this error. I compensate by deleting any start-of-session segments where the activity level is 5 or less (out of 10).

2. The tracker doesn't show any activity bars in segments where you worked with no snapshot, so on average it understates your activity level.

ETA. For me the biggest problem with stopping and starting the tracker is that I sometimes forget to restart it!

Lori J. H Member Since: Oct 21, 2015
5 of 18
So the Snapshot is taken ar the beginning of a segment and not the end?

How do we know the best time to turn it off? I live alone and have cats and
things happen. Perhaps the front door. Maybe a message from another client
I need to get to or maybe I just need a break and to stretch. Oh man. I've
been cheating myself out of time.
Community Guru
6 of 18

Lori J. H wrote:
So the Snapshot is taken ar the beginning of a segment and not the end?

The snapshots are taken at a random time during a segment, sometimes early, sometimes late, sometimes in the middle.

Waiting until a screenshot has been taken before turning the tracker off makes sure the segment "counts!"

Personally when "things happen" I don't necessarily turn the tracker off, I just tidy up my work diary at the end of the day deleting segments that have low activity.

S.M Jabid H Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
7 of 18

The best possible solution can be , keep the time tracker on while you are searching on google , let the time tracker shot your screen and delete that segment from the work diary after you stop the time tracker.

Note: You can search on google for any solution , everyone does not have to know everything or keep in mind everything, seraching on google might be a part of the work. Better you can contact your client directly about that.

Thanks

Jabid

Community Guru
8 of 18

alternatively do your google-searches on your iPad / Tablet .....

Smiley Wink

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 18

I'm not an IT person / coder .... but since when do providers NOT charge for job relevant research?

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
10 of 18

Wendy, I can only speak for myself, but looking up solutions is a bit different from research in that it's optional, not required, so a developer should exercise some judgement. A few minutes googling is no problem, but an hour of googling probably would be a problem. And personally, if it's a couple of minutes, I'd just as soon omit it from the timer tracker because chances are, it won't add up to enough minutes or keystroke activity to qualify for payment anyway.