🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When should I track time in hourly contract?
Page options
timefighter11
Community Member

When should I track time in hourly contract?

Hay, 

I am working on various hourly contracts.  I am bit confuse about what time should I track. I am logging time only for what I really delivering to the client. But clients sometime want to understand things more and take lot of time for discussion. Also, I am doing more work while try to find different ways to accompolish  a task which I don't log too. I don't know if  it's right for me to log time for  the consultation that I provide to clients. Also, what should I do if I am solving a complicated problem and spending lot of time on it but not logging time as I don't know if I can make it or not (though, I succeed always)?
Response/advice from experienced persons would be highly appreciated. 

Best Regards,
Muhammad

2 REPLIES 2
a_lipsey
Community Member

Muhammad Zeeshan H wrote:

Hay, 

I am working on various hourly contracts.  I am bit confuse about what time should I track. I am logging time only for what I really delivering to the client. But clients sometime want to understand things more and take lot of time for discussion. Also, I am doing more work while try to find different ways to accompolish  a task which I don't log too. I don't know if  it's right for me to log time for  the consultation that I provide to clients. Also, what should I do if I am solving a complicated problem and spending lot of time on it but not logging time as I don't know if I can make it or not (though, I succeed always)?
Response/advice from experienced persons would be highly appreciated. 

Best Regards,
Muhammad

Every minute I spend on a client's project is billed to them, regardless of the task. If it's a phone call to clarify points of the project or an email, time tracker is on and they get billed. If I'm solving a problem for THEIR project, it gets billed. If I am searching for a solution to THEIR problem, it gets billed. Every minute you spend working for them that isn't something you would be doing otherwise, gets billed to the client. 

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Muhammad Zeeshn H.,

An exception would be if you have told a client you already have all of the skills needed to complete their project, you shouldn't charge the client any significant time you need to actually learn new skills needed to do the work.

Clients aren't usually paying freelancers to learn, they're paying them to do.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members