🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: When the Client closes the contract, and ...
Page options
kateashcraft
Community Member

When the Client closes the contract, and then you leave feedback....

Client always closes the contracts. Doesn't get the milestone addition and has no interest. He closes, leaves 5.0 ratings, but when I go to leave feedback Upwork asks why I-ME- closed the contract...which I didn't. I just go ahead and select job is complete, leave good rating. 

My JSS just went under 90% and now have the higher fees. Is this a scheme???? I'm really not getting why I am responsible for a client refusing to use the system or even leave feedback, yet hire me over and over and over...

6 REPLIES 6
filip_knezevic
Community Member

If he hires you over and over, you should be able to communicate with client. Explain him/her that it's very important to you if he leaves feedback. 

If your JSS is dropping (although you get 5 stars) it means you are not getting good private feedback.

It's not a scheme against you, it's just how it works.

petra_r
Community Member

Amanda A wrote:

Client always closes the contracts. Doesn't get the milestone addition and has no interest. He closes, leaves 5.0 ratings, but when I go to leave feedback Upwork asks why I-ME- closed the contract...

No, it does not. It asks you why the contract ended, not why you ended it.

Amanda A wrote:

I'm really not getting why I am responsible for a client refusing to use the system or even leave feedback, yet hire me over and over and over...

If the client leaves 5 stars, the client HAS left feedback, (the stars and the private feedback ARE feedback) and contracts without feedback don't hurt yourJSS anyway as long as money was paid.

tlsanders
Community Member

, Amanda I may be misreading something, but it seems like you're under the impression that your JSS affects the fees you're paying? Is that what you're suggesting?

I believe there is one narrow circumstance in which top-rated freelancers avoid the 20% fee on the initial $500 (in other words, save $50 over the course of the entire client relationship), but generally the fee structure is identical for all freelancers.

Tiffany S wrote:

, Amanda I may be misreading something, but it seems like you're under the impression that your JSS affects the fees you're paying? Is that what you're suggesting?

I believe there is one narrow circumstance in which top-rated freelancers avoid the 20% fee on the initial $500 (in other words, save $50 over the course of the entire client relationship), but generally the fee structure is identical for all freelancers.

I think she meant to say that her JSS has dropped and on top of that, the fees are higher--not that there's a causal relationship between those two things, but wondering whether they are linked in an overall scheme to take advantage of her.

Thanks, Phyllis. That makes a lot more sense than the way I was reading it.

Phyllis G wrote:

Tiffany S wrote:

I think she meant to say that her JSS has dropped and on top of that, the fees are higher--not that there's a causal relationship between those two things, but wondering whether they are linked in an overall scheme to take advantage of her.

--------------

Are you suggesting that the service fees that are taken out of a freelancer's earnings are somehow remotely linked to their feedback and thus affect their JSS? I was under the impression that to achieve a lower percentage fee you have to make $X amount with a client. And that doesn't mean in just one job, but the overall earnings with one specific client. And that, at least to me, isn't linked or effected by feedback. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths