cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to request payment in fixed prices contracts?

p_blondbueno
Community Leader
Patricia B Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
1 of 7

I am just curious.

Do you click on submit and request the payment when you finish the work and want to deliver it? Or do you deliver your work and wait until the client has reviewed it and is happy with the result before requesting payment?

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 7

@Patricia B wrote:

I am just curious.

Do you click on submit and request the payment when you finish the work and want to deliver it? Or do you deliver your work and wait until the client has reviewed it and is happy with the result before requesting payment?

Click when you deliver. The client has the option of requesting revisions after you've submitted.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 7

@Patricia B wrote:

I am just curious.

I request payment when I send the work through the "Submit work / request payment" function. I also send it again via whatever outside Upwork method I use to communicate with my clients at the same time.

The client then has 2 weeks to request changes if they want to.

None of mine ever has.

p_blondbueno
Community Leader
4 of 7

Thanks for clarifying. I did it like this but it felt awkard asking for money when the client hasn't even seen your work yet. Good to know that the client can ask for changes there too.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
5 of 7

Patricia, if you submit work without clicking that button, a dishonest client can take your work and close the contract without releasing payment. There are some protections in place for you if that happens--the client has to request the return of escrow--but all around, your payment is better protected if you click at the same time that you share the work with the client.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

Patricia:

You are the professional. You are the expert that the client has hired.

You know when you have completed the project.

So when you know you have finished it, you use the "Submit Milestone and Request Payment" button.

If you have indeed completed the agreed-upon task, then the honorable client releases payment.

If a client asks you to do other things, things that are not part of the original agreement, then that is not okay. Sometimes clients try to do this. It is dishonorable and unethical when they do.

Fixed-price contracts are a considerably more complex contract model than hourly contracts, but with practice, experience, and wisdom, you can learn to use them effectively.

p_blondbueno
Community Leader
7 of 7

@Tiffany S wrote:

Patricia, if you submit work without clicking that button, a dishonest client can take your work and close the contract without releasing payment. There are some protections in place for you if that happens--the client has to request the return of escrow--but all around, your payment is better protected if you click at the same time that you share the work with the client.

I didn't think about this, you are totally right. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS