🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » When to start work
Page options
7b7ccc2d
Community Member

When to start work

Hello,

I am hired by a client to fix some bugs. 

I have completed two tasks before he agreed to create the contract

the contract is a $50 fixed price.

he created the contract and only fund it with $5. ($5 appear in Escrow)

I asked him to fund the contract so that all the fees appear in Escrow. 

Now am on 2nd to the last task.

He claims until all tasks are completed.

I am new here, I don't know if he is right or I am right.

4 REPLIES 4
gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

You should never begin work until you have a contract in place and the client has verified his payment method. If it is a fixed-price contract, then the milestone should  be fully funded before you perform the work described in that milestone. Otherwise, you risk not being paid for the work. 

petra_r
Community Member

Yusuf O wrote:

the contract is a $50 fixed price.

he created the contract and only fund it with $5. ($5 appear in Escrow)

I asked him to fund the contract so that all the fees appear in Escrow. 

If it is possible, submit only 10% of the work. Otherwise, all the client needs to pay you is $5. They "can" pay you $50, but if they don't, there is nothing anyone can do.

It's your job to check if the contract is properly funded before you accept it.

You are now in a situation where the client has to release the first milestone (the $5) and create the second milestone for $45.

e825750a
Community Member

hello,

it depends on the contract you are working on. If client's budget is set to 50$ on the contract and you agreed that the payment will be done by milestone, you don't have to care about it. Also check his contract history, if he has good feedback that means you will probably be payed.

thanks

petra_r
Community Member

Bruno S wrote:

it depends on the contract you are working on. If client's budget is set to 50$ on the contract and you agreed that the payment will be done by milestone, you don't have to care about it.

That is very poor advice. The OP should only do as much work as is funded ($5 worth), not $50 worth.

What the budget is set as is irrelevant. All that matters is what is funded,

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members