🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: When will I get paid??
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

When will I get paid??

I have a fixed contract that was closed out, I have waited the 5 day period, and Upwork is still witholding $100 ($85 after fees) of the payment.  All of this payment was for the same job.  It sure would be nice to get paid 100% of what I made, at one time, instead of piecemeal payments.

Upwork - what is going on with this??  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Jeremiah B wrote:

I have a fixed contract that was closed out, I have waited the 5 day period, and Upwork is still witholding $100 ($85 after fees) of the payment.  All of this payment was for the same job.

Go to your Reports > Pending Page and you should see the date in the left-hand column.

Was the "extra" $100 a bonus?

Basically, the security period is 5 days from when payment was successfully charged. When a client pays a bonus in addition to releasing a milestone, that often comes in a day later because the money in escrow was already successfully charged at the time the milestone was funded.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Jeremiah B wrote:

I have a fixed contract that was closed out, I have waited the 5 day period, and Upwork is still witholding $100 ($85 after fees) of the payment.  All of this payment was for the same job.

Go to your Reports > Pending Page and you should see the date in the left-hand column.

Was the "extra" $100 a bonus?

Basically, the security period is 5 days from when payment was successfully charged. When a client pays a bonus in addition to releasing a milestone, that often comes in a day later because the money in escrow was already successfully charged at the time the milestone was funded.

Yes, that extra $100 was a bonus.  It was added by the client after the contract was accepted to cover a single line item that was missed in the scope of work.  The client submitted the bonus before we closed the contract out, or at least thats how it appears in my alerts.  Just not understanding why its being treated any differently than the rest of the funds.  

It gets pretty aggravating dealing with Upworks pay policies.  On one hand they act as a filter to drive out unproductive freelancers, but on the other hand they also prevent Freelancers like myself from being able to quickly reinvest those funds back into my own business.  The faster I can reinvest those funds into my business, the faster I can generate more revenue for Upwork (through larger, better, and more contracts).

I really wish they would offer something shorter wait terms for freelancers that have surpassed a certain amount of buiness through the site.

Jeremiah B wrote: Just not understanding why its being treated any differently than the rest of the funds.  

It isn't. The security period is 5 days from when the client's payment method is successfully charged for the amount.

they also prevent Freelancers like myself from being able to quickly reinvest those funds back into my own business. 

C'mon, does it really matter in the overall scheme of things if you withdraw that money today or tomorrow? Seriously? You're in the US, you can withdraw your funds for free. What in the world is the problem? What kind of "reinvestment" were you planning to do in the 24 hours between Good Friday and Easter Saturday?

If it isn't being treated any differently, why isn't it available?  The contract was closed releasing escrow and the bonus was paid within minutes of each other.  

Yes, it really does make a difference.  It means the difference between using a personal account and a business account for transactions and purchases, missing shipping lead times, and tax purposes. 

To answer your question about what kind of reinvestment - I have a client project in my lap that requires a single tool that costs about $70-$100 depending on where I go.  Being able to order it yesterday means it would be here this week, instead of waiting until next week - losing about 3-4 days I can work.  Instead, I have to use a personal account because Upwork takes forever to process payment, then buy the item from myself and maintain an individual record for tax purposes.  

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members